Help with Epson Scanner that has stopped working; Epson support says it is windows.

Anonymous
2014-01-11T16:51:52+00:00

Hi Microsoft,

I'm hoping someone can help.  I have an EPSON Perfection V500 Photo Scanner running on a Toshiba A665 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.  About a month ago, the scanner stopped working. I have worked in depth with EPSON support line, and they believe it is a Windows problem.

SYMPTOM:

When starting Epson Scan, the error message is:  "Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly set up and connected with no errors indicated."

WHAT I HAVE VERIFIED AND DONE TO TRY TO SOLVE:

  1. Removal of all Epson drivers and programs using Control Panel: Programs and Features.
  2. Detach USB cable, power off scanner
  3. Reboot
  4. Downloaded current drivers from Epson.  epson13936.exe ?dated ?July ?20, ?2010 2:54:21 PM
  5. Install drivers.
  6. Reboot (required by driver installer).
  7. Attach and power up the scanner via direct USB connection.
  8. Drivers are loaded.  Message says they install correctly.
  9. Device Manager shows under Imaging devices the EPSON Perfection V500 as installed and working.  No errors or warnings.
  10. When starting the Epson Scan program, the same error message appears.
  11. Using Windows Paint, the scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

VARIATIONS AND ADDITIONAL ATTEMPTS

a. I have uninstalled and reinstalled about 7 times now.  I have tried doing so with anti virus off (AVAST!)  I have tried doing so in SAFE mode.  Still the same error occurs.

b. I have stopped and restarted Windows Image Acquisition service 5x (advised by Epson) with no difference.

c. I have applied all Windows updates.

d. On another Windows 7 computer, I have successfully installed the same EPSON drivers and connected the same scanner and it works without error, and scans great.  So it is not the scanner, cable, or drivers supplied by Epson.

EPSON support says that it must be a problem with Windows

I would appreciate any suggestions on further steps I can take to resolve this issue.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-01-15T17:56:36+00:00

    You shouldn't need to stop and restart a service to get it working, but if it works ....

    You can start and stop services from an Elevated Command Prompt (i.e., "Run as administrator") using the NET STOP and NET START commands.  See the example here:  https://www.coretechnologies.com/blog/windows-services/essential-tools-for-windows-services-net-command/

    The catch is that in order to run the command with administrator rights you have to create a batch file (*.bat) with the command, then create a shortcut to the batch file, then go into the properties of the shortcut and check the box to "Run as administrator."

    Even then, however, when you double-click the shortcut you'll get the UAC prompt and the user will have to input the password for an administrator account.

    If you don't want the UAC account to appear, there are ways around that as well. 

    Here's one:  http://superuser.com/questions/788924/is-it-possible-to-automatically-run-a-batch-file-as-administrator

    Before you do all of the above, make sure that the NET STOP command works for your Epson service.  If it doesn't try the SC command (see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/133883/stop-and-start-a-service-via-batch-or-cmd-file)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-15T14:03:31+00:00

    My version of this problem (and thanks to all the previous posters for their efforts)

    I just have to restart the computer.  Not log off log on actually restart.  Then it's ok for a while (hours, days) and then "cannot communicate with scanner" and repeat repeat

    I think I've tried all relevant suggestions above.   

    Using services.msc then stopping and then starting the Epson Scanner Service does the trick - is there any way of creating a desktop shortcut to do this so as to permit the less savvy in the house to do this.

    Thanks

    win7 pro  epson xp-402   usb connection

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-12-06T03:27:44+00:00

    I have been have this problem with my scanner all day, but found a fix on my computer.  Seem this scanner will only work correctly in the USB 2.0 port and NOT the USB 3.0 that I had my scanner plugged into.  Not all the functions are working at this time, but I am able to scan in the Home mode and I am able to scan my slides as well as my color prints.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-29T18:34:10+00:00

    I was having this same error message on a Windows 10 Pro Asus desktop computer. Shell Hardware Detection was on and apparently functioning fine, however, when I restarted Shell Hardware Detection and unplugged and plugged the scanner back in the scanner opened a dialogue box informing me that it was setting up. It then appeared in my active devices and functioned normally. 

    Thanks for the tip!

    Steps:

    1. Search services.msc
    2. Open services.msc
    3. Scroll down to Shell Hardware Detection
    4. Click on Shell Hardware Detection
    5. Click "Restart" the service
    6. Unplug scanner
    7. Plug scanner back in
    8. Boot Epson scan utility

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-04-19T23:50:47+00:00

    What I meant was to minimize or close the main window by clicking on the dash or X in the upper right corner:

    But I won't be surprised if you do that and don't find anything hidden behind the window.

    What happened when you right-clicked the icon for your scanner in the main Devices and Printers window (not the screen in your screenshot)?

    What happens if you double-click on the left icon shown in your screenshot (the one that just says "EPSON Scan")?

    What do you use for your email? 

    • Do you use a program installed on your computer such as Mozilla Thunderbird or do you go to a website?
    • What is the portion of your email address after the @ symbol?  DO NOT POST YOUR COMPLETE EMAIL ADDRESS or the forum software will replace it with asterisks and I won't be able to see it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments