Help with Epson Scanner that has stopped working; Epson support says it is windows.

Anonymous
2014-01-11T16:51:52+00:00

Hi Microsoft,

I'm hoping someone can help.  I have an EPSON Perfection V500 Photo Scanner running on a Toshiba A665 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.  About a month ago, the scanner stopped working. I have worked in depth with EPSON support line, and they believe it is a Windows problem.

SYMPTOM:

When starting Epson Scan, the error message is:  "Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly set up and connected with no errors indicated."

WHAT I HAVE VERIFIED AND DONE TO TRY TO SOLVE:

  1. Removal of all Epson drivers and programs using Control Panel: Programs and Features.
  2. Detach USB cable, power off scanner
  3. Reboot
  4. Downloaded current drivers from Epson.  epson13936.exe ?dated ?July ?20, ?2010 2:54:21 PM
  5. Install drivers.
  6. Reboot (required by driver installer).
  7. Attach and power up the scanner via direct USB connection.
  8. Drivers are loaded.  Message says they install correctly.
  9. Device Manager shows under Imaging devices the EPSON Perfection V500 as installed and working.  No errors or warnings.
  10. When starting the Epson Scan program, the same error message appears.
  11. Using Windows Paint, the scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.

VARIATIONS AND ADDITIONAL ATTEMPTS

a. I have uninstalled and reinstalled about 7 times now.  I have tried doing so with anti virus off (AVAST!)  I have tried doing so in SAFE mode.  Still the same error occurs.

b. I have stopped and restarted Windows Image Acquisition service 5x (advised by Epson) with no difference.

c. I have applied all Windows updates.

d. On another Windows 7 computer, I have successfully installed the same EPSON drivers and connected the same scanner and it works without error, and scans great.  So it is not the scanner, cable, or drivers supplied by Epson.

EPSON support says that it must be a problem with Windows

I would appreciate any suggestions on further steps I can take to resolve this issue.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-04-18T11:29:04+00:00

    "Printer.exe" is malware.  Your computer was and still may be infected.

    See, e.g., http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/printer.exe-19403.html

    Raise the problem with tech support at your work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-18T08:15:57+00:00

    The antivirus is McAfee . And it's controlled by my work. It can not be turned off either . They are the admins. But  the exceptions tab I do see printer.exe so it should work . None of that has changed in 10 years . 

    I am going to try the instructions listed . All I hope is that it doesn't interfere with it running all the work problems as well. Or change any settings. Once done I am unsure how to be sure all is turned back on. more of a step by step person lol

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. LemP 74,985 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2015-04-17T20:02:42+00:00

    @MaliciousDelicious

    BearPup, who last wrote on this topic over a year ago, may or may not respond.

    BearPup's description of how to do a "clean boot" specifically does NOT disable Microsoft services.  I assume, however, that you followed the directions and selected "Hide all Microsoft services" before you clicked the "Disable all" button.  If your scanner worked when you did that, I suspect that you have some sort of "security" program installed that blocks operation of your scanner.  When you disabled it, the scanner works.

    What is the name and version of your antivirus program?

    What other security software is installed?

    Run msconfig again and select "Normal startup"  When you restart the computer, this will restore your computer to the state it was in originally -- and your scanner will undoubtedly not work.  Now run msconfig again and select the Services tab.  Look at the list of services remaining after you select "Hide all Microsoft services."  Do any of these services appear to relate to a security program or a firewall?  Which one(s)? 

    If you can't determine by inspection which service is the culprit, you'll have to use a process of elimination.  Uncheck half of the non-Microsoft services, click OK, and restart the computer.  If your scanner works, you know that the service that was blocking it is in the group that you unchecked; if your scanner doesn't work, you know that the service that is blocking it is in the group that remained checked.

    Run msconfig and enable all of the non-Microsoft services.  Then disable half of the group that includes the blocking service.  Click OK and restart the computer.  Test the scanner. 

    Continue doing this until you have identified the one service that when disabled permits the scanner to work.  Be sure to return the computer to "Normal startup" after you have identified the problem service.  At this point, you should be able to either uninstall the program that uses that service or configure it to allow the scanner to work.  If you can't figure out what to do after you have identified the service, post back with its name and we'll try to figure out what program is involved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-17T11:20:02+00:00

    I did the selective start up and disabling the Microsoft services and the scanner works . Now what do I do ?

    i mean do I have to go back and reverse what I did ??

    i didn't have to load anything or reinstall the scanner . It automatically worked

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-12T06:23:54+00:00

    I fixed this same problem by typing services.msc in search box of Windows 7.   When' services' appears I opened it by clicking on it. From there I scrolled down to find ' SHELL HARDWARE DETECTION .'  It was disabled. I clicked on it and selected ' Automatic '. Closed that out and my scanner works fine now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments