I did get this scanner to work by trying it on another older laptop computer. It appears the problem is with the USB ports and the scanner not being able to support 2.0 or 3.0. You are correct that Epson do not update there software to keep up with the times.
Help with Epson Scanner that has stopped working; Epson support says it is windows.
Hi Microsoft,
I'm hoping someone can help. I have an EPSON Perfection V500 Photo Scanner running on a Toshiba A665 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. About a month ago, the scanner stopped working. I have worked in depth with EPSON support line, and they believe it is a Windows problem.
SYMPTOM:
When starting Epson Scan, the error message is: "Cannot communicate with the scanner. Make sure the scanner is on, correctly set up and connected with no errors indicated."
WHAT I HAVE VERIFIED AND DONE TO TRY TO SOLVE:
- Removal of all Epson drivers and programs using Control Panel: Programs and Features.
- Detach USB cable, power off scanner
- Reboot
- Downloaded current drivers from Epson. epson13936.exe ?dated ?July ?20, ?2010 2:54:21 PM
- Install drivers.
- Reboot (required by driver installer).
- Attach and power up the scanner via direct USB connection.
- Drivers are loaded. Message says they install correctly.
- Device Manager shows under Imaging devices the EPSON Perfection V500 as installed and working. No errors or warnings.
- When starting the Epson Scan program, the same error message appears.
- Using Windows Paint, the scanner option is not active, meaning the scanner WIA is not recognized.
VARIATIONS AND ADDITIONAL ATTEMPTS
a. I have uninstalled and reinstalled about 7 times now. I have tried doing so with anti virus off (AVAST!) I have tried doing so in SAFE mode. Still the same error occurs.
b. I have stopped and restarted Windows Image Acquisition service 5x (advised by Epson) with no difference.
c. I have applied all Windows updates.
d. On another Windows 7 computer, I have successfully installed the same EPSON drivers and connected the same scanner and it works without error, and scans great. So it is not the scanner, cable, or drivers supplied by Epson.
EPSON support says that it must be a problem with Windows
I would appreciate any suggestions on further steps I can take to resolve this issue.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
47 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-12-27T00:45:31+00:00 -
Anonymous
2017-06-15T12:07:21+00:00 No luck with the Shell Hardware Detection, stopping and restarting the epsonscansvc just doesn't work. I can't figure out what else takes place during a physical reboot that makes it start working, but it's the only thing that reconnects the scanner communication. I haven't tried signing out and signing back in versus rebooting, I haven't been scanning as often lately. Next time I get the chance I'll try that and see what happens, maybe that'll further help identify why I can't get it to reconnect.