Thank You thenderaaaMS....I lost my right click after running Norton Power Eraser to remove the Trojan.Gen2....your fix work just great.
Right click 8.1 'start' button does nothing
Hi;
Upgraded from windows store (original 8.0 clean install) to 8.1. Everything worked fine, except the windows start button does not respond to a right mouse click. Left button works fine (switches between desktop and start menu), Right mouse clicks works as expected on every other object. I don't have any of the windows 8.1 start screen navigation settings checked (I.E. stop using the start screen).
Ideas?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-12-02T02:03:34+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-12-04T19:38:13+00:00 Many thanks for your Solution.
It worked for me!! Got back my Windows 8.1 Start Button Menu.
Do you know what caused the Start Button to loose the Menu?
Was it a Windows Update or some Virus???
OH it might have been Trojan.Gen2 and Norton that caused the problem???
Thanks
-
Anonymous
2015-03-09T11:32:56+00:00 I have a Surface3- I had an error with the arrow on top left corner not disappearing- somehow have disabled winkey+x and right click on start context menu appearing.
Can I reset this- other user accounts are fine.
Thanks
-
Anonymous
2015-04-13T07:59:06+00:00 This is occurring happens if some unupdated antivirus like Norton, malware , etc first remove it after that restart it will be work..
Thanks and regards,
Chander
-
Anonymous
2015-06-01T12:42:21+00:00 Ok, figured this issue out. However, I am not real wild about this problem happening during the 8.1 upgrade process.
The problem was missing shortcut entries in:
c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group1
c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group2
c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3
I copied the entries from the non-administrator account I had created, rebooted, and everything is as expected, including windows + x.
I had the same problem after clicking on a wrong website link in a google search. Some kind of PUP virus deleted all these entries, along with everything in the start menu.
Is there a list of which links would normally be there so I can manually recreate them without having to generate a second account?