This is exactly what the problem was for me too. Thanks for sharing! Worked as soon as I copied the WinX folder from another account into that location. Even a local admin account will have the WinX folder available, it looks like domain accounts that have admin access don't get it.
Right click 8.1 'start' button does nothing
Hi;
Upgraded from windows store (original 8.0 clean install) to 8.1. Everything worked fine, except the windows start button does not respond to a right mouse click. Left button works fine (switches between desktop and start menu), Right mouse clicks works as expected on every other object. I don't have any of the windows 8.1 start screen navigation settings checked (I.E. stop using the start screen).
Ideas?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-03-04T10:14:47+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-03-24T19:07:19+00:00 I did the mentioned but removing WinRAR and reinstalling it solved the problem in my situation.
-
Anonymous
2014-04-15T02:59:24+00:00 Ty so much for this, it solved my problem right away. It wasn't microsofts error I do not think, as I was just uninstalling a irc client, and I noticed it started taking a LONG time to do so, and as I watched ( stopped it too late to avoid the damage) it was deleting files it had no business deleting or so it seemed, but mainly it was taking way too long for a simple application.
NO idea what caused it, maybe a bug in its uninstall routines, and its the only app I"ve ever seen this occur with. I"ll not be using it ever again.
thx ;)
lee
-
Anonymous
2014-04-21T06:10:51+00:00 Hello...
I have started facing the exact same problem. The "xcopy..." by PrarieNerd did not solve my problem.
I am now running "sfc /scannow" to see what happens.
Could you give me a hind on which software caused it. I am running a backup software and from what I read, this might have caused it. Please don't mention the name because of legal issue, but any hint would help.
I hate it, but I may have to re-install Windows 8 from scratch.
Thanks... PK
-
Anonymous
2014-04-21T19:59:30+00:00 Hello Again;
I found the culprit!
I scanned my hard disk with "sfc" (per instructions I found in this forum) and sfc tagged my file "CNBJ2530.DPB" as corrupted, but it could not fix it. Even though I have another healthy Windows 8.1 on a laptop, it turned out that changing that file would be more challenging (because of permissions, etc.) I could not even change it in "safe" mode.
In digging further, I read in a column that "Memeo" backup program could be the culprit. But I had used this program on another WIndows 8.1 with no problem. Then I noticed Memeo installs an extention to "Windows explorer" as well. I removed that program (through Programs and Features" and the problem went away.
So, for those of you who are facing this problem and have installed Memeo, removing that particular extention of Memeo could sovlve your problem.
The rest of Memeo is working fine for me.
PK