Right click 8.1 'start' button does nothing

Anonymous
2013-11-01T18:45:56+00:00

Hi;

Upgraded from windows store (original 8.0 clean install) to 8.1.  Everything worked fine, except the windows start button does not respond to a right mouse click.  Left button works fine (switches between desktop and start menu), Right mouse clicks works as expected on every other object.  I don't have any of the windows 8.1 start screen navigation settings checked  (I.E. stop using the start screen).

Ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-15T14:34:41+00:00

    hello

    i tried all of these solution but the issue is still persists for me!? im tired of this problem, any other solution!?

    here my WinX folder(as admin user), [WinX folder size: 19.8 kb]:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-19T13:56:03+00:00

    Ok, figured this issue out.  However, I am not real wild about this problem happening during the 8.1 upgrade process.

    The problem was missing shortcut entries in:

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group1

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group2

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3

    I copied the entries from the non-administrator account I had created, rebooted, and everything is as expected, including windows + x.

    I have experienced exactly the same problem with my work PC on a domain. When you log in with any admin account that has local admin rights on the windows 8.1 it fails to put the winX folder in place all non admin accounts get this folder. Copying this folder solves the problem immediately no reboot required. A big thanks for solving this as I upgraded as soon as 8.1 came out and googling this problem came up with nothing! It has been a constant irritation since then. sorted!   :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T04:56:45+00:00

    maybe this is the answer I'm looking for, but I don't know where to add these shortcut lines

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-04T01:08:42+00:00

    I was guessing it was something like that. (Those files are often mentioned with respect to customizing the Windows+X menu, so I thought perhaps if they were corrupted somehow, the Windows+X menu would not appear.)

    Hopefully the root cause of the bug is eventually tracked down. I noticed someone else asked this question earlier. I'll send them to this thread. Nice work figuring it out!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-03T23:30:27+00:00

    Ok, figured this issue out.  However, I am not real wild about this problem happening during the 8.1 upgrade process.

    The problem was missing shortcut entries in:

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group1

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group2

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3

    I copied the entries from the non-administrator account I had created, rebooted, and everything is as expected, including windows + x.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments