Right click 8.1 'start' button does nothing

Anonymous
2013-11-01T18:45:56+00:00

Hi;

Upgraded from windows store (original 8.0 clean install) to 8.1.  Everything worked fine, except the windows start button does not respond to a right mouse click.  Left button works fine (switches between desktop and start menu), Right mouse clicks works as expected on every other object.  I don't have any of the windows 8.1 start screen navigation settings checked  (I.E. stop using the start screen).

Ideas?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-06-30T02:02:54+00:00

    Ok, figured this issue out.  However, I am not real wild about this problem happening during the 8.1 upgrade process.

    The problem was missing shortcut entries in:

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group1

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group2

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3

    I copied the entries from the non-administrator account I had created, rebooted, and everything is as expected, including windows + x.

    I don't have any sub folders inside group1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-04T16:05:17+00:00

    I found in another post that if if you have Memeo Lifeagent Explorer extension installed on your system, it causes this behavior.  I do have the same issue and have Memeo Lifeagent Explorer extension Installed.  The fix for me was merely uninstalling Memeo Lifeagent.   No significant functionality is missed without it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-04T06:56:04+00:00

    Hello Again;

    I found the culprit!

    I scanned my hard disk with "sfc" (per instructions I found in this forum) and sfc tagged my file "CNBJ2530.DPB" as corrupted, but it could not fix it. Even though I have another healthy Windows 8.1 on a laptop, it turned out that changing that file would be more challenging (because of permissions, etc.) I could not even change it in "safe" mode.

    In digging further, I read in a column that "Memeo" backup program could be the culprit. But I had used this program on another WIndows 8.1 with no problem. Then I noticed Memeo installs an extention to "Windows explorer" as well. I removed that program (through Programs and Features" and the problem went away.

    So, for those of you who are facing this problem and have installed Memeo, removing that particular extention of Memeo could sovlve your problem.

    The rest of Memeo is working fine for me.

    PK

    This was my issue too. I removed the extention and normal behaivor come back. Thanks PK

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-06-02T03:09:19+00:00

    Thanks for the solution.  I uninstalled Memeo Lifeagent also and the context menus popped right up like they should.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-06-01T12:42:21+00:00

    Ok, figured this issue out.  However, I am not real wild about this problem happening during the 8.1 upgrade process.

    The problem was missing shortcut entries in:

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group1

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group2

    c:\User<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3

    I copied the entries from the non-administrator account I had created, rebooted, and everything is as expected, including windows + x.

    I had the same problem after clicking on a wrong website link in a google search. Some kind of PUP virus deleted all these entries, along with everything in the start menu.

    Is there a list of which links would normally be there so I can manually recreate them without having to generate a second account?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments