Windows Location Provider not working in Win 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-25T13:29:08+00:00

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded to Win 8.1 just a week ago. However under Device Manager, I'm seeing warning symbol against the Windows Location provider. It says it is not working. I tried to update the driver, but it says its already up to date. I tried using Here Maps and couple of other apps which use location services, but my location is not correctly determined.

Earlier in windows 8 it used to run perfectly with accurate location. Please help me with this issue. How do I resolve it ?

Any help appreciated.. Thanks..

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-26T04:45:24+00:00

    Hi Fernando,

    I would suggest you to uninstall the Windows Location Provider driver and check if it helps.

    1.      Tap or Press Windows key + X.

    2.      Click on Device manager.

    3.      Expand Sensors, right click on Windows Location Provider and click on Uninstall.

    4.      Restart the computer to install the Windows drivers and check the issue.

    If the issue persists, please install the latest version of chipset drivers from the manufacturer’s website and check if it helps in fixing the issue.

    Hope this information helps. If you have any concerns, please let us know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-27T15:15:37+00:00

    Hi Sharief,

    Thanks a lot for the reply. I uninstalled it as per above steps and restarted the laptop. It worked perfectly.

    Now Windows Location Provider is correctly showing under device Manager-> sensors.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-30T00:44:14+00:00

    Hi Fernando,

    Thank you for your response.

    Glad to know that you have sorted out the issue.

    Your efforts to resolve this issue is very much appreciated. Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-03T01:00:57+00:00

    I had same problem with my Lenovo ThinkPad 2 and followed the above suggestion by Sharief K and all is working ok.

    thanks for help

    Ritchie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-03T06:40:19+00:00

    You are welcome Ritchie.

    Please do not hesitate to contact us if you face any Windows issues in future. We will be glad to be of assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments