Windows Location Provider not working in Win 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-25T13:29:08+00:00

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded to Win 8.1 just a week ago. However under Device Manager, I'm seeing warning symbol against the Windows Location provider. It says it is not working. I tried to update the driver, but it says its already up to date. I tried using Here Maps and couple of other apps which use location services, but my location is not correctly determined.

Earlier in windows 8 it used to run perfectly with accurate location. Please help me with this issue. How do I resolve it ?

Any help appreciated.. Thanks..

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T15:34:48+00:00

    Dear Sharief K.:

    Everything that could be installed, including Optional Updates, is installed.

    The Location Provider has proved to be a challenge to operate at all.  The Add Legacy Hardware Wizard, installs the software driver for Windows Location Provider under the registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\SENSOR\0000

    While the "correct" location is at this registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SWD\SensorsAndLocationEnum\LPSensorSWDevice

    How can the Add A Legacy Device Wizard be so wrong in reading the locationprovioder.inf?

    It is just a convoluted tango of errors that are irreconcilable.  Then you have the Add Features to Windows, where you either Add or Remove the location provider feature, which is always mysterious in its duties.

    Admittedly, I have no clue of the ramifications of errors in installing User Mode Drivers. I simply want the Windows Location Provider to function and provide to Bing the correct location for Bing to pull up search results that are logical as they are supposed to be tailored for the user and his/her location.  When Bing shows me search results for a location that is 20 miles away, it looks and is silly.

    So, I respectfully request a registry file (.reg converted to .txt for allowing download of the file) containing all the correct entries for the location provider to function correctly.  I envision that I would simply change the extension of the file from .txt to .reg; click on it and walah the world is known.  Bing 's search results to show me locations right in my neighborhood, not a lousy 20 miles distant location.

    Is that too much to ask for?

    Truly,

    Zack Shahin, P.E. (Professional Civil Engineer), PhD Candidate in Environmental Biotechnology, Civil Engineering, and Sampling Techniques and Theory/Probabilities and Statistics

    San Francisco

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T14:41:24+00:00

    Zack,

    I would have you install all available Windows Updates including Optional Updates and check if it helps.

    Please reply with the status.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-19T14:41:13+00:00
    1. I have to click on show hidden devices to be able to see Windows Location Provider.
    2. Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

    To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

    1. Your proposed solution does not work.
    2. Other respondents see a yellow exclamation mark next to the Device Windows Location Provider, and a after uninstalling the device they clicked on new hardware detection icon.  This is totally inapplicable in my case.

    5.  Microsoft is the manufacturer of this software device, therefore there is no software update for the device!

    Can you provide help in this case?

    Zack Shhain, P.E.

    San Francisco

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-21T15:19:44+00:00

    Hi Abdulrahman,

    I will do my best to help you fix the issue.

    1. Which version of Windows is installed on the computer?
    2. What is the make and model of the modem?
    3. Do you get any error message?
    4. Were there any recent changes made on the computer prior to the issue?

    Please get back to us with the above information to assist you further.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-08-21T00:58:53+00:00

    Hello Sharief Khan

    sorry for the trouble but i really need your help

    its just that i have the same problem as Fernando and i followed your steps, i uninstall the windows location provider and restart the computer, still there is nothing and then i followed the steps you told Brad about going to the Control panel and setting the location still the problem remain and the worst thing is that i put my internet modem and it doesn't work, it doesn't show that there is even a network.

    but these modem works on other computer, it is indeed frustrating, please i need your help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments