options running XP on newer PCs?

Anonymous
2013-11-14T01:28:25+00:00

My 2005 Dell desktop running XP is having issues, and I'm thinking about a newer PC but want to run XP. I dont have the install discs (it's stored on the PC), so I would have to get those - XP PRO seems to be required if you want to run Windows Virtual PC on Win7/8... unless other brands of  Virtual programs will run earlier XP versions?

So I'm wondering what's the best way to run XP on newer PCs that typically have Win7 or 8 pre-installed. I'd prefer not wipe out the original OS, even though they take up space. I would imagine it would work best on a separate partition...? I dont want to get into a 2nd HDD.

I've read that there wont be XP drivers for newer PCs, so compatibility sounds like an issue.

Here's my questions and exploration of the options. Brief answers (yes, no, wrong, etc) would be helpful since I won't understand too detailed explanations.

Does XP work better in 1) XP Mode, 2) as a Virtual PC, or 3) on separate partition?

The advantage of the first is you dont need XP install discs, and it seems to be easily accessible. Disadvantage is you dont get the XP appearance, and it's only available on Win7 Pro and up.

The advantage of Windows Virtual PC is you can load XP (Pro only) on Win7 Home and up (unlike XP Mode that requires Win7 Pro), BUT you need the XP Pro install discs.

Can you use another brand Virtual PC on Win7 or 8 and use any XP version instead of XP Pro?

Advantage of separate partitions is you are actually running XP and getting XP window, rather than Virtual version. Can you load ANY XP version? Is this faster than using XP in Virtual PC?

Disadvantage is you have to install programs twice if you want both OS to use it.

Major disadvantage is it seems XP cannot be installed on pre-loaded Win7 or Win8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-more-than-one-operating-system-multiboot

I noticed that Win7, and programs in general, work really fast on my 2011 PC (6 RAM, Intel i5). Is that because of the hardware or OS, or both? Would XP work almost as fast?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T19:25:30+00:00

    well, I'm really disappointed with this. Not only can I not go online with virtual XP, since it virtually freezes when running MSE, I cannot read music/video discs from dvd drives.  Processing audio/video was the main reason for having XP. You have to tick "passthrough" for "Secondary master" (or slave) in E drive to get the Atapi driver to work, but that also slows down the virtual XP to a useless standstill. And you cant have multiple rom drives available simultaneously in that situation.

    Maybe this is all specific to Virtualbox, but these obvious limitations were never spelled out to me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-12T21:57:28+00:00

    It's definitely a good idea to run an antivirus, especially since you're going to be in the VM a lot. MSE running on the host will help a little, I think, but it's no substitute for an antivirus in the VM. I'm not sure how much of the traffic to the VM the host OS is aware of, but I'd assume it's a direct connection with little if any "filtering" going on. All the host is doing is sharing its connection with the client VM.

    I'd get the rest of the setup taken care of, and then try MSE again. Unfortunately you're not going to find an antivirus much lighter on your system than MSE, so any others you try are likely to slow your machine down even more.

    MSE lets you set how much processor power it uses when scanning. Make sure it's set low, around 10-20%. The scans will take longer, but you'll have more power available.

    You could download Malwarebytes Antimalware, and scan with it on a regular basis (every few days). Just don't use the real-time scan, as it's likely to slow your system down, too. It's not a substitute for real-time protection, but if you're careful online you might be ok.

    I'd actually recommend Malwarebytes as a second opinion scanner even if you do reinstate MSE. No antivirus catches everything.

    If you can do without networking on the VM, that would give you some protection from viruses by removing the main access point for them. You could download your stuff through Windows 7, scan it there, and then access it in XP afterward. It's a very inconvenient workaround, though.

    I'd be extremely nervous running XP, even if virtual, with no antivirus, since it's 12 years old  and about to be unsupported. Especially for anything serious.

    I'll play around with my XP VM at home over the weekend. I actually don't have MSE on it, since I don't use it often and just for games. (Half the time I have the network disabled on it.) But I'll install MSE and see if I can come up with any answers for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-12T21:31:32+00:00

    The normal boot sounded like it was loading windows but of course I couldnt see anything, and since Safe Mode froze, I had no choice but to reinstall Windows.

    I googled 'XP slow in Vbox' and aside from the APCI issue, someone suggested it was Antivirus programs. I deactivated Microsoft Essentials and sure enough, XP acted like it was a real instal (superfast).

    Does Vbox need an antivirus program? Whether it's being used online, or the host system is actively connected?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-12T19:19:43+00:00

    For the graphics card, you might have to note the manufacturer (Dell seems to favor ATI Radeons) and try the built-in drivers `til you find a decent approximation. Or you might luck out and there's an XP driver for it you can download. Did you try the generic SVGA driver? It won't give you full color, but at least you'll do better than 640x480 for the resolution. I'll try to remember take a look at the video settings on my VM when I get home.

    For the rest, you may need to ask around on the Virtualbox forums.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-11T22:04:26+00:00

    well, I managed to figure out some of the issues, but it was still very slow - copying data from a shared folder, and loading a wave editor. Increasing RAM from 1 to 2 GB didnt help.

    I read somewhere changing a setting (ACPI to Standard PC) might help, which caused an error warning message that the Graphics card needed to be installed. I tried to check the Graphics driver, but at that point, there wasnt one (might have been there before I changed the ACPI to Standard PC). It was simply set to "System." I selected "Auto" from the menu, thinking it might help, but instead the screen stays black (after booting). I've tried Safe Mode, but the screen freezes when the lines of text start presenting after selecting the mode. If this were a problem on a real harddrive, I'm wondering how it would get solved, aside from reinstalling XP.

    Anyway, thank you for your help and encouragement.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments