Windows 7 Updates Fail with error 0x80070057

Anonymous
2014-04-06T20:05:30+00:00

Original Title: Windows 7 Updates Fail

The updates for Microsoft Security Essentials install successfully.  The Security updates and the updates for Windows 7 fail.  I have tried many of the recommendations after reading the discussions.  No network problems have been noted; Fixit finds no problems to be fixed.  I tried the Win update problem detection troubleshooter.  It fixed a few issues but these remain unfixed:  Win Update error ox80070057 (2014-04-06-T-03_27_14p); Problems installing recent updates.  I would appreciate additional suggestions.  Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T17:06:54+00:00

    The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the following location: •%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

    •%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

    The system root is normally C.

    Please upload a copy of these logs to your OneDrive as shared files and post a link here.

    For help with Sky Drive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T19:10:59+00:00

    O.K.  I stopped Windows Update Service.  I found the Windows folder. I clicked on it and found the Software Distribution folder.  I clicked on it and found the Download file folder.  I renamed it download.old.  I restarted Windows Update Services. I restarted computer.  I tried to install updates.  They failed.  What have I missed doing?  Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-28T11:51:36+00:00

    What have I missed doing?

    Responded to this suggestion!

    The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the following location: •%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

    •%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

    The system root is normally C.

    Please upload a copy of these logs to your OneDrive as shared files and post a link here.

    For help with Sky Drive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T20:05:52+00:00

    I have tried several times to download and install the System Update Readiness Tool.  Although it downloads, it does not install.  I'll keep trying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-01T11:26:47+00:00

    Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator from the drop down menu.. Type *cd* and press ENTER. Type "chkdsk c: /r" without the quotes and hit ENTER. Make sure you include the spaces indicated. Enter Y when asked whether you wish to run chkdsk on restarting the computer. Type exit, press the ENTER key and restart the computer.

    Please run System File Checker and say if it cannot fix corrupted files:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your OneDrive (formerly Sky Drive), share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

    For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments