Windows 7 Updates Fail with error 0x80070057

Anonymous
2014-04-06T20:05:30+00:00

Original Title: Windows 7 Updates Fail

The updates for Microsoft Security Essentials install successfully.  The Security updates and the updates for Windows 7 fail.  I have tried many of the recommendations after reading the discussions.  No network problems have been noted; Fixit finds no problems to be fixed.  I tried the Win update problem detection troubleshooter.  It fixed a few issues but these remain unfixed:  Win Update error ox80070057 (2014-04-06-T-03_27_14p); Problems installing recent updates.  I would appreciate additional suggestions.  Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T20:20:20+00:00

    I'm at my wit's end too, and I have tried all the virus scanning recommendations, including SFC/scannow.  The reports always indicate my computer is in good health, but obviously it isn't if I cannot install important updates and cannot use Internet Explorer, after trying every possible recommendation, some more than once.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T20:46:45+00:00

    I am having problem with my computer due to a Window Uprate errorI too am at my wit's end and have tried all the virus scanning recommendations and "The Fix it Now Tool." Also I can't send a msg through Windows Live Mail w/attachment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-26T16:32:52+00:00

    Hi,

    Rename the Software Distribution folder, and then retry the download

    To do this, follow these steps:

    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd      in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. At the command prompt, type services.msc.
    3. Right-click Automatic Updates, and then      click Stop.
    4. Rename the      C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder as follows:

    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download.old.

    1. In the Services snap-in,      right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Start.
    2. Click Start,      click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

    Once this is done, restart the computer and check the update install status.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T14:55:16+00:00

    Thank you for your reply.

    I have no "run" command so at Start I typed cmd.  At prompt I typed services.msc.  A box surfaced with the heading "User Account Control," with a program named "Microsoft Management Console," asking if I will allow program to make changes to computer.  I clicked "yes,"  A list of services appears.  There is no folder listed as Windows\SoftwareDistributionDownload.  I did a search on my computer and I could not find this folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-27T16:08:20+00:00

    Hi,

    Press Windows key + R to get the run window. In the services window you need to stop the Windows Update service. Once this is done using Windows Explorer you need to navigate to “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” and rename the download folder to download.old.

    Once this is done, open the services window one more time to start the Windows Update service. After this

    once and for all restart the computer to check update install status.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments