Windows 7 Updates Fail with error 0x80070057

Anonymous
2014-04-06T20:05:30+00:00

Original Title: Windows 7 Updates Fail

The updates for Microsoft Security Essentials install successfully.  The Security updates and the updates for Windows 7 fail.  I have tried many of the recommendations after reading the discussions.  No network problems have been noted; Fixit finds no problems to be fixed.  I tried the Win update problem detection troubleshooter.  It fixed a few issues but these remain unfixed:  Win Update error ox80070057 (2014-04-06-T-03_27_14p); Problems installing recent updates.  I would appreciate additional suggestions.  Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-20T21:12:14+00:00

    Thank you for your reply.

    I did use the System file checker tool and received this message:  "Windows Resource  Protection did not find any integrity violations."  I restarted my computer and checked for updates.  There were 2 and I tried to manually install them.  They failed.  They were:  Security update for Win 7 (KB2705219) and Update for Win 7 (KB2647753).  Looking at the history, I note that only definition updates for MSE install successfully and 1 Hotfix KB947821.  All else are failures.

    I would appreciate any further suggestions.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-21T08:57:04+00:00

    Hi,

    -          What is the error message you get when the updates fail to install?

    You may proceed with a clean boot state and try to install the updates manually to check if this helps.

    When you start Microsoft Windows, typically there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may interfere with the game. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs. When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7, Windows 8:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

    Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

    Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T12:10:48+00:00

    I have had similar problems: auto and manual installation of updates appear to succeed, then at restart the updates fail with error code 0x80070057, and they are "reverted". I get messages indicating that the service registration is missing or corrupt.  I was hacked a short while back and wonder whether the repeated failure of updates to install is in part due to whatever virus has been responsible for the hack? I should say I have run various security programs (Norton originally; subsequently McAfee which is recommended by my email provider) and they all find nothing beyond the odd tracking cookie which they rate as "mild threat" and have dealt with. Supposedly.

    I have tried all the advice so far, without success.

    Because I am not especially tekkie and support seems to be via these threads only, I may well have to take my laptop into a repair workshop and let them sort it.

    But before I do that, any further advice is welcome. Thanks. David Sharp.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T12:51:50+00:00

    Hi,

    If you suspect that there might be some elements of virus on the computer then you may run a full computer scan with Microsoft Safety Scanner to make sure that the computer is free from virus. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if you are able to install the updates.


    Microsoft Safety Scanner: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

    Note: There could be a loss of data while performing a scan using Microsoft safety scanner to eliminate virus if any.

    Further, to check the health of the system files, you may run the SFC scan. I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The SFC /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

    For more information how to do SFC/ scan, please follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

    Once this is done, restart the computer and try to install any one pending Windows Update to check the status.

    Article for reference:

    Updates: frequently asked questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/updates-faq#1TC=windows-7

    Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T20:14:34+00:00

    Same error messages all the time:  Sec update Win 7 KB 2705219; Update for Win 7 KB 2647753.  These are noted as important.  The only updates that succeed are those marked optional.

    I tried to go through the clean boot process more than a month ago, as recommended. I reported that once I clicked Hide MS Services I could not right click Disable All as it had faded.  Maybe there is nothing left for me to do.  It's really bad news that all the important updates fail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments