Windows 7 Updates Fail with error 0x80070057

Anonymous
2014-04-06T20:05:30+00:00

Original Title: Windows 7 Updates Fail

The updates for Microsoft Security Essentials install successfully.  The Security updates and the updates for Windows 7 fail.  I have tried many of the recommendations after reading the discussions.  No network problems have been noted; Fixit finds no problems to be fixed.  I tried the Win update problem detection troubleshooter.  It fixed a few issues but these remain unfixed:  Win Update error ox80070057 (2014-04-06-T-03_27_14p); Problems installing recent updates.  I would appreciate additional suggestions.  Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-26T16:32:52+00:00

    Hi,

    Rename the Software Distribution folder, and then retry the download

    To do this, follow these steps:

    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd      in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. At the command prompt, type services.msc.
    3. Right-click Automatic Updates, and then      click Stop.
    4. Rename the      C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder as follows:

    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download.old.

    1. In the Services snap-in,      right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Start.
    2. Click Start,      click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

    Once this is done, restart the computer and check the update install status.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T20:46:45+00:00

    I am having problem with my computer due to a Window Uprate errorI too am at my wit's end and have tried all the virus scanning recommendations and "The Fix it Now Tool." Also I can't send a msg through Windows Live Mail w/attachment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T20:20:20+00:00

    I'm at my wit's end too, and I have tried all the virus scanning recommendations, including SFC/scannow.  The reports always indicate my computer is in good health, but obviously it isn't if I cannot install important updates and cannot use Internet Explorer, after trying every possible recommendation, some more than once.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T20:14:34+00:00

    Same error messages all the time:  Sec update Win 7 KB 2705219; Update for Win 7 KB 2647753.  These are noted as important.  The only updates that succeed are those marked optional.

    I tried to go through the clean boot process more than a month ago, as recommended. I reported that once I clicked Hide MS Services I could not right click Disable All as it had faded.  Maybe there is nothing left for me to do.  It's really bad news that all the important updates fail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-23T12:51:50+00:00

    Hi,

    If you suspect that there might be some elements of virus on the computer then you may run a full computer scan with Microsoft Safety Scanner to make sure that the computer is free from virus. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if you are able to install the updates.


    Microsoft Safety Scanner: http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

    Note: There could be a loss of data while performing a scan using Microsoft safety scanner to eliminate virus if any.

    Further, to check the health of the system files, you may run the SFC scan. I would suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if that helps. The SFC /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

    For more information how to do SFC/ scan, please follow this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

    Once this is done, restart the computer and try to install any one pending Windows Update to check the status.

    Article for reference:

    Updates: frequently asked questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/updates-faq#1TC=windows-7

    Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments