Windows 7 Updates Fail with error 0x80070057

Anonymous
2014-04-06T20:05:30+00:00

Original Title: Windows 7 Updates Fail

The updates for Microsoft Security Essentials install successfully.  The Security updates and the updates for Windows 7 fail.  I have tried many of the recommendations after reading the discussions.  No network problems have been noted; Fixit finds no problems to be fixed.  I tried the Win update problem detection troubleshooter.  It fixed a few issues but these remain unfixed:  Win Update error ox80070057 (2014-04-06-T-03_27_14p); Problems installing recent updates.  I would appreciate additional suggestions.  Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-07T14:34:06+00:00

    http://1drv.ms/1g89UW2

    1.  I uninstalled Advanced System Care and other Iobit programs about 1 month ago so no longer in Programs & Features.  Only have Iobit Uninstaller remaining.  However, found Advanced System Protector in Start menu with 0 bytes.  Deleted it. Found Advanced-system-care-installer in "Pictures". Brought up Properties and several screens emerged:  dial-up not responding; free shipping on item; trial copy expired.  Showed 2.26 MB. Strange.  Went to Downloads and deleted it and other references to Iobit.
    2.  Established Restore Point.  Downloaded ADW Cleaner.  1st scan attempt: "dial-up connection not responding".  screen freeze. eventually received message to "uncheck elements you don't want removed (application updates; default tab updates).  I unchecked (wasn't sure what to do).  Report was provided.  See above.
    3.  Ran Disk Cleanup.  Went to Control to Windows Updates.  Definitions installed successfully.  Others failed as always.  Ran full scan of MSE (Note: A quick scan had been set to run daily for some time).  Scan showed "no threats; real protection on and virus & spyware definitions up-to-date.
    4.  Downloaded Malwarebytes & ran.  Note:  I had previoulsy installed Malewarebytes but it had crashed months ago when Internet Explorer stopped working so I uninstalled Malwarebytes and all other anti-malware programs except MSE at the recommendation of the community.  Malwarebytes ran successfully.  It showed non-malware detected but found a number of items which I quarantined.
    5.  Used Autoruns.  See above link.

    This morning I looked into optional Windows Updates.  Found 8, 4 for Win 7.  Tried installing and they were successfully installed.

    Look forward to whatever you my find.  Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-05T09:17:13+00:00

    Marlene

    I suggest you remove Advanced System Care and Advanced System Protection. Select Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features, place the cursor on the program to be removed, right click and select Uninstall from the drop down menu. Restart your computer.

    Please download and run ADWCleaner and post a copy of the report produced:

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

    I suggest you take the precaution of creating a system restore point before running ADWCleaner, to guard against unforeseen consequences. Select Start, Control Panel, System, System Protection, and click the Create button.

    I recommend that you run Disk CleanUp or cCleaner to remove temporary files as this will reduce scanning times by security software. cCleaner comes with a Registry tool. Do not use this tool as like any registry cleaner it can lead to the creation of very difficult to resolve system errors

    Restart the computer, download, install, update definitions and run a complete scan with Microsoft Security Essentials:

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5201

    Download and install Malwarebytes (freeware version for home users only -not the Trial version), update definitions and run in normal mode. Disable other security software whilst you are doing scans.

    http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

    To identify what loads when you boot use Autoruns (freeware from Microsoft).

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

    Select File, Save, change the “Save as type” to Text file type using the Scroll to the right and click Save. Please upload the file to your OneDrive as a shared file and post as a link here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-04T21:29:08+00:00

    http://1drv.ms/1iO1QiZ

    o.k. 1.  I ran chkdsk as administrator on restarting computer.  2.  I ran System File Checker and received the same message I received on 4/20/14:  "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."  3.  I exported my System Information file.  4.  I uploaded my System and Application Logs.  I could not find either Sky Drive or OneDrive on my computer but found OneDrive through your link.  I read elsewhere that there are problems with Windows 7 and OneDrive but tried to upload the 3 files and tried to follow your instructions.  Hope you find something there.  Thank you for trying to help me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-01T11:26:47+00:00

    Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click Command Prompt, and click Run as administrator from the drop down menu.. Type *cd* and press ENTER. Type "chkdsk c: /r" without the quotes and hit ENTER. Make sure you include the spaces indicated. Enter Y when asked whether you wish to run chkdsk on restarting the computer. Type exit, press the ENTER key and restart the computer.

    Please run System File Checker and say if it cannot fix corrupted files:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your OneDrive (formerly Sky Drive), share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

    For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T20:05:52+00:00

    I have tried several times to download and install the System Update Readiness Tool.  Although it downloads, it does not install.  I'll keep trying.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments