Windows 7 Updates Fail with error 0x80070057

Anonymous
2014-04-06T20:05:30+00:00

Original Title: Windows 7 Updates Fail

The updates for Microsoft Security Essentials install successfully.  The Security updates and the updates for Windows 7 fail.  I have tried many of the recommendations after reading the discussions.  No network problems have been noted; Fixit finds no problems to be fixed.  I tried the Win update problem detection troubleshooter.  It fixed a few issues but these remain unfixed:  Win Update error ox80070057 (2014-04-06-T-03_27_14p); Problems installing recent updates.  I would appreciate additional suggestions.  Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-13T17:43:47+00:00

    Gerry -

    System Update Readiness Tool:  I downloaded the Tool and tried to install.  Received message that installation was complete for installation of Hotfix for Windows (KB9478211) (update 1 of 1).  When I go to my downloads to try to run, it tries to go through the installation process again.  This is what had happened previously, and I had thought it had not been installed, despite the message to the contrary, and I found myself in a revolving process of continuous installation.  I receive no error messages.

    Logs: Could not find the log file.  Went to Command Prompt and typed both options and received message that file name was incorrect.  Went to C drive to see if I could find the logs but I could not.

    **Settings:**I did look at my settings.  The "Show hidden files and folders" box is checked.  I did uncheck "Hide protected operating system files." (Note:  I received a warning that "deleting or editing could make computer inoperable."  Should I go back and check it since I cannot seem to run the System Update Readiness Tool??) I did uncheck the box before "Hide extensions for known file types.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-13T11:00:44+00:00

    Marlene

    Please try this again. If it fails please make a precise note of what happens and the details of any error message. Download and run the System Update Readiness Tool -64 bit version

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

    The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the following location:

    •%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log

    •%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

    The system root is normally C.

    Please upload a copy of these logs to your OneDrive as shared files and post a link here.

    If the System Update Readiness Tool fails to install please check to see whether either of the two logs are there and if they are upload them to your OneDrive.

    You may need to change your settings in Windows to be able to see the file. To show hidden files type Folder Options in the search box above the Start button and select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-12T14:45:03+00:00

    Was unsure how to proceed so clicked "No."

    Click Yes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-12T14:23:26+00:00

    Gerry -

    Before I provide copies of the Logs, I need your feedback on a few things:

    **Advanced System Care:**Went to C Drive.  Showed Iobit Advanced System Care 7 2 bytes file folder.  Deleted.  Went to Program Files.  Under Iobit, found file folders for ASC 5 & 6, Driver Booster, Iobit Malware Fighter.  Deleted ASC 5 & 6 and Iobit Malware Fighter.

    **FixCleaner:**Programs showed empty folder.  Deleted empty folder.  Went into Program Files (x86).  Found FixCleaner 331 kb file folder. Deleted folder.

    Went back to your 5/9 response re two solutions related to Error Event ID: 12348 and Event ID: 10016

    **Re:  Error Event ID: 12348:**Result was "successfully processed 1 file; failed  processing 0 file"

    **Re: Error Event ID 1006:**Proceeded through Step 10 and received Warning (See picture in link below).  Was unsure how to proceed so clicked "No."  When I reached step 11 to select Customize, customize was faded so could not proceed.  What do I need to do?  Thank you.

    http://1drv.ms/1jaosuj

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-11T16:47:31+00:00

    Marlene

    There are two Solutions provided in my earlier post. One related to Error Event ID: 12348 and the other to Event ID: 10016.

    Advanced System Care:  Not listed in Programs and Features as had been uninstalled a month or more ago.

    See Advanced SystemCare 7   "c:\program files (x86)\iobit\advanced systemcare 7\asctray.exe" /auto         NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM          Startup             

    And Advanced SystemCare 7  "c:\program files (x86)\iobit\advanced systemcare 7\asctray.exe" /auto         .DEFAULT          Startup             

    ***FixCleaner:  Do not have FixCleaner in Programs and Features. Do not believe I ever installed it.***See Start Menu\Programs\FixCleaner              Public:

    ***System Update Readiness Tool:  Tried again to install. Noted as Windows Update Standalone Installer HotFix for Windows.  Message "Installing HotFix for Windows 6.1 (KB947821" but it never installed.***This is potentially the most serious problem.

    Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your OneDrive (formerly Sky Drive), share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

    Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

    To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments