I have found the problem. You probably all have AVG 2014 as your antivirus. Somehow it identified Windows audio files as a virus and settle them on quarantaine. Go to AVG>>Virus Vault and restore the files. Answer yes to all replacements.
No Sound with error message 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. Also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray.
Original Title: Windows 8 - No Sound
HP ProBook 6455b Windows 8
Hello, the sound on my laptop stopped working suddenly, never had any issues before. Looked into services.mcs and see that windows audio service is stopped. When I try to start it I get a dialog box stating 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. There's also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray. Checked for drivers, all working properly and updated, so it says.. Can anyone please help :(
Thank you.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-10-05T20:53:30+00:00 Nice one Gerardo. Too late for me (I had to hand over laptop to a repair specialist last week. However, he agrees that AVG could well be the culprit for one of the issues my WIn8 services seem to have). But very helpful posting for one of the several folks who have had identical problem.
So here is a more rhetorical question: why on earth have Microsoft and AVG allowed this to happen, and why are they not here, or out there, helping people who have purchased (or downloaded in good faith) products which now have problems, and why haven't either Microsoft or AVG sent out a fix in one or other of their latest updates?
"Services" indeed - not much service from the 'owner' of this community, it seems. Thanks again Gerardo. May your 'fix' work for many.
Mandy
Oh nooooooo I thought I accidentally did something. I could not work the whole day trying to fix the same problem. I however uninstalled my AVG since I was suspecting something, but I should have replaced the files from the vault first.
ok so anyone with advice on what I should do now.
Taa
You are not alone please help
-
Anonymous
2014-10-08T16:35:53+00:00 Thanks a lot GerardoGonzález. You are simply great...
This solved my audioservice not running issue.. thanks once again
-
Anonymous
2014-10-09T03:15:50+00:00 What can I do if the files are no longer in the vault?
-
Anonymous
2014-11-08T18:08:31+00:00 NOOOO, I uninstalled AVG and emptied the virus vault :(