No Sound with error message 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. Also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray.

Anonymous
2014-07-11T14:49:01+00:00

Original Title: Windows 8 - No Sound

HP ProBook 6455b Windows 8 

Hello, the sound on my laptop stopped working suddenly, never had any issues before. Looked into services.mcs and see that windows audio service is stopped. When I try to start it I get a dialog box stating 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. There's also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray. Checked for drivers, all working properly and updated, so it says.. Can anyone please help :(

Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-17T09:19:35+00:00

I have found the problem. You probably all have AVG 2014 as your antivirus. Somehow it identified Windows audio files as a virus and settle them on quarantaine. Go to AVG>>Virus Vault and restore the files. Answer yes to all replacements.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-14T21:51:08+00:00

    I am having the exact same issue as Mandy and Stephanie.

    Windows Audio Service has randomly gone off. I try to turn it on, and I get the same error "the endpoint is a duplicate."

    And just like Mandy, when I try to run sfc /scannow, the cursor just moves down one line and nothing happens.

    Any help would be appreciated. Everything was working fine until last night.... which is confusing since I haven't done anything to the PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-15T13:24:51+00:00

    I am also having this problem with the audio. I tried everything you have suggested (checking the dependencies, running the SFC) and nothing is working. 

    Everything was working fine until Saturday night when i turned on my computer to receive no sound. 

    Is there anything else that I can do?

    Would buying an external sound card help?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T20:39:46+00:00

    Same problem, here. Suddenly sound doesn't work, and haven't install anything on my pc for weeks.  Windows is wonderful:)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-17T01:30:33+00:00

    Wow! I'm having the same issue as everyone else, I haven't installed anything recently, it just happened. 

    I've tried all the dependencies and get the endpoint is a duplicate message. Deleted drivers and nothing.

    When I attempt to run the sfc /scannow the cursor goes to the next line but nothing happens.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments