No Sound with error message 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. Also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray.

Anonymous
2014-07-11T14:49:01+00:00

Original Title: Windows 8 - No Sound

HP ProBook 6455b Windows 8 

Hello, the sound on my laptop stopped working suddenly, never had any issues before. Looked into services.mcs and see that windows audio service is stopped. When I try to start it I get a dialog box stating 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. There's also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray. Checked for drivers, all working properly and updated, so it says.. Can anyone please help :(

Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-17T09:19:35+00:00

I have found the problem. You probably all have AVG 2014 as your antivirus. Somehow it identified Windows audio files as a virus and settle them on quarantaine. Go to AVG>>Virus Vault and restore the files. Answer yes to all replacements.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-31T01:13:09+00:00

    I also had the AVG problem but deleted AVG when it happened, a while ago  before  I found out the problem could be fixed by the virus vault content. I re-downloaded AVG & of course nothing is there from the date it was messed up. I also downloaded some updates from this site and can't install them. My computer tells me there are updates waiting, but I can't find them and when I use the Windows 8.1 setting and click "updates," the box stays white and little spinning ribbon never goes away. There's a place where you can check a box in windows settings for automatic downloads but I try to check it and it won't take.  Thanks for any help. it's been a long time and I'm paying for music and video services that are useless without sound. 

    Thank you again,    Paula

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-03T21:22:21+00:00

    Thank you so much, nothing seemed to work and not only audio but also other apps were failing. AVG should know about this. Thanks again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-06-03T21:26:06+00:00

    I had uninstalled AVG as well before I found out the problem could be fixed by the virus vault. But when I reinstalled AVG, the data was still in the virus vault, even though it showed a date prior to the date the problems started. I dont know if this helps but if you find anything in the virus vault restore it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-07-01T21:51:36+00:00

    What if you inadvertently uninstalled AVG before you were able to take the steps to restore the files?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments