I have found the problem. You probably all have AVG 2014 as your antivirus. Somehow it identified Windows audio files as a virus and settle them on quarantaine. Go to AVG>>Virus Vault and restore the files. Answer yes to all replacements.
No Sound with error message 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. Also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray.
Original Title: Windows 8 - No Sound
HP ProBook 6455b Windows 8
Hello, the sound on my laptop stopped working suddenly, never had any issues before. Looked into services.mcs and see that windows audio service is stopped. When I try to start it I get a dialog box stating 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. There's also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray. Checked for drivers, all working properly and updated, so it says.. Can anyone please help :(
Thank you.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2014-11-16T18:51:59+00:00 I had the same problem with the endpoing is a duplicate message. I didn't have the file to restore in AVG, and my system restore didn't help. I tried everything I could think of like uninstalling the drivers and uninstalling AVG. I found a program called Windows Repair from tweaking.com. I ran the diagnosis with most of the options checked. It took more than 8 hours to run them all, but it fixed the problem and now my audio is working again. Not sure if there what specific option fixed the problem.
-
Anonymous
2014-11-08T23:25:54+00:00 This worked for me too. You just need to restore the file of the audio driver in AVG.
-
Anonymous
2014-11-08T18:08:31+00:00 NOOOO, I uninstalled AVG and emptied the virus vault :(
-
Anonymous
2014-10-09T03:15:50+00:00 What can I do if the files are no longer in the vault?