I have found the problem. You probably all have AVG 2014 as your antivirus. Somehow it identified Windows audio files as a virus and settle them on quarantaine. Go to AVG>>Virus Vault and restore the files. Answer yes to all replacements.
No Sound with error message 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. Also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray.
Original Title: Windows 8 - No Sound
HP ProBook 6455b Windows 8
Hello, the sound on my laptop stopped working suddenly, never had any issues before. Looked into services.mcs and see that windows audio service is stopped. When I try to start it I get a dialog box stating 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. There's also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray. Checked for drivers, all working properly and updated, so it says.. Can anyone please help :(
Thank you.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2015-03-28T14:38:37+00:00 I tried all of the suggestions. Removed AVG and still the same problem.
This link involves changing the registry so use at your discretion.
It is 2 parts. I had both the control panel problem and audio.
Part 1 http://tech.jecal22.com/windows-8-and-windows-8-1-control-panel-hangsfreezes/
Part 2 http://tech.jecal22.com/windows-88-1-no-audio-endpoint-is-a-duplicate-error-message/
After I modified the registry and rebooted audio was restored.
-
Anonymous
2015-03-20T07:54:06+00:00 I'm in the same pickle! Uninstalled AVG and now I can't retrieve the vault, neither the files... somebody help?
-
Anonymous
2015-03-14T06:36:39+00:00 Thanks for this solution! I am almost certain this is what happened to me.
Except that my virus vault is empty and I am wondering if I accidentally removed the file permanently when prompted by AVG. Is there any way to fix this easily?
Thanks.
-
Anonymous
2015-03-07T13:05:19+00:00 i was told to uninstalled AVG and i have already done that. in this case how do i restore the file ? please help
thanks