I have found the problem. You probably all have AVG 2014 as your antivirus. Somehow it identified Windows audio files as a virus and settle them on quarantaine. Go to AVG>>Virus Vault and restore the files. Answer yes to all replacements.
No Sound with error message 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. Also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray.
Original Title: Windows 8 - No Sound
HP ProBook 6455b Windows 8
Hello, the sound on my laptop stopped working suddenly, never had any issues before. Looked into services.mcs and see that windows audio service is stopped. When I try to start it I get a dialog box stating 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. There's also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray. Checked for drivers, all working properly and updated, so it says.. Can anyone please help :(
Thank you.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2016-01-05T00:17:38+00:00 Hi Geethu,
I've been having the same problems as Stephanie, telling me that there is a duplicate.
None of the methods that you listed seemed to make a difference.
Please help me.
I am also getting an empty Virus Vault when I enter the AVG 2015.
Thank you.
-
Anonymous
2015-09-13T23:13:13+00:00 Hello. I did exactly that...I went into Virus Vault, but it was empty. I am still getting the error 0x800706cc The end point is a duplicate. What now?
-
Anonymous
2015-07-01T21:51:36+00:00 What if you inadvertently uninstalled AVG before you were able to take the steps to restore the files?
-
Anonymous
2015-06-03T21:26:06+00:00 I had uninstalled AVG as well before I found out the problem could be fixed by the virus vault. But when I reinstalled AVG, the data was still in the virus vault, even though it showed a date prior to the date the problems started. I dont know if this helps but if you find anything in the virus vault restore it.