Windows 8.1 Update - 'A TCG Command has returned an error' - Automatic Encryption Involved?

Anonymous
2014-05-18T21:14:09+00:00

I've got a desktop system which has been showing error messages in the Event Viewer ever since the upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update.  It's an error in EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv that says "A TCG Command has returned an error".  The error is with the "AuthenticateSession" command.

Doing a bunch of research shows that this error involves SSD encryption.  However, this is for a gaming PC with no personal information on it.  There's no need for Bitlocker or anything of that sort on it.  So I'm not entirely sure why it's sending that command in the first place other than if it's using the "Opal" / Microsoft eDrive spec for automatic encryption. The SSD I'm using (Plextor PX-M5M) does fully support the Opal specification, but I do not have a TPM, and as this is a desktop PC it doesn't support Connected Standby, two features that previously were requirements for automatic encryption on Windows 8.1.  Did something change with regards to these requirements in Windows 8.1 Update? 

I guess the really important question is... is this actually a message I should be worried about?  It's listed in Event Viewer as critical.  Can it just be ignored instead?

For what it's worth, my first thought was actually that the SSD or the mSATA slot it is installed in were the cause.  However, both of those have been swapped out as part of my troubleshooting, and that hasn't solved anything.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-22T10:34:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Did you try performing clean boot?

Sometimes, "A TCG Command has returned an error" message appears because the device encryption is turned on.

I would suggest you to turn off the device encryption and check if it helps. Device encryption is turned on by default. Please use these steps.

a. If you have performed a clean install of Windows 8.1, device encryption is turned on by default. If you have upgraded a previous Windows installation to Windows 8.1, you can turn device encryption on by using PC info.

b. To open PC info, swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap "Settings", and then tap "Change PC settings". (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click "Settings", and then click "Change PC settings".)

c. Tap or click "PC & devices", and then tap or click "PC info". The "Device Encryption" section appears at the bottom of the PC info page.

d. In the "Device Encryption" section, select "Turn On".

To opt out of automatic device encryption:

If you do not want the devices you are deploying to be automatically protected with device encryption, you can configure the unattend file to enforce the following registry setting:

• Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BitLocker

• Value: PreventDeviceEncryption equal to True (1)

• Type: REG_DWORD

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

For reference:

What's New in BitLocker for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn306081.aspx

I hope this information helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-19T11:50:07+00:00

    I have to report the same problem, same error. fresh installed windows 8.1. it doesn't happen with a normal HDD.

    I don't think that the problem is really windows 8.1 with edrive. it would be interessting how many people have this problem, since not a lot user do look in their error log.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-16T18:51:11+00:00

    Hello Steve,

    Thank you for the update.

    I am sorry for late response.

    I appreciate your efforts and time.

    Sometimes, issue may occur due to corrupt or missing Windows files. I would suggest you to run system file checker(SFC) and see if it helps.

    Refer this article:

    Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

    http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/929833

    System file checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

    Note: It may ask for Windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

    I hope it helps.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-08T18:26:35+00:00

    Hello,

    same error with different user:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-05T11:01:39+00:00

    Hello Steve,

    Thank you again for the reply.

    I would suggest you to create a new user account and check if you receive same error in that user.

    Refer:

    Create a user account

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

    Please keep us updated on the status of the issue.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments