Windows 8.1 Update - 'A TCG Command has returned an error' - Automatic Encryption Involved?

Anonymous
2014-05-18T21:14:09+00:00

I've got a desktop system which has been showing error messages in the Event Viewer ever since the upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update.  It's an error in EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv that says "A TCG Command has returned an error".  The error is with the "AuthenticateSession" command.

Doing a bunch of research shows that this error involves SSD encryption.  However, this is for a gaming PC with no personal information on it.  There's no need for Bitlocker or anything of that sort on it.  So I'm not entirely sure why it's sending that command in the first place other than if it's using the "Opal" / Microsoft eDrive spec for automatic encryption. The SSD I'm using (Plextor PX-M5M) does fully support the Opal specification, but I do not have a TPM, and as this is a desktop PC it doesn't support Connected Standby, two features that previously were requirements for automatic encryption on Windows 8.1.  Did something change with regards to these requirements in Windows 8.1 Update? 

I guess the really important question is... is this actually a message I should be worried about?  It's listed in Event Viewer as critical.  Can it just be ignored instead?

For what it's worth, my first thought was actually that the SSD or the mSATA slot it is installed in were the cause.  However, both of those have been swapped out as part of my troubleshooting, and that hasn't solved anything.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-22T10:34:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Did you try performing clean boot?

Sometimes, "A TCG Command has returned an error" message appears because the device encryption is turned on.

I would suggest you to turn off the device encryption and check if it helps. Device encryption is turned on by default. Please use these steps.

a. If you have performed a clean install of Windows 8.1, device encryption is turned on by default. If you have upgraded a previous Windows installation to Windows 8.1, you can turn device encryption on by using PC info.

b. To open PC info, swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap "Settings", and then tap "Change PC settings". (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click "Settings", and then click "Change PC settings".)

c. Tap or click "PC & devices", and then tap or click "PC info". The "Device Encryption" section appears at the bottom of the PC info page.

d. In the "Device Encryption" section, select "Turn On".

To opt out of automatic device encryption:

If you do not want the devices you are deploying to be automatically protected with device encryption, you can configure the unattend file to enforce the following registry setting:

• Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BitLocker

• Value: PreventDeviceEncryption equal to True (1)

• Type: REG_DWORD

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

For reference:

What's New in BitLocker for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn306081.aspx

I hope this information helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-15T19:00:26+00:00

    How were you able to determine it was your memory stick causing the issue?

    I got lucky.  It was a new computer build and I passed Prime95 and Memtest86 with no problems (but the temps in Prime95 were scary).  A week or so later, I started getting crashes once every few days when just browsing.  Then once a day.  Then I couldn't run 10 minutes without a crash.  My computer would sometimes fail to boot and displayed non-existent error codes.

    It was then that I went into "shotgun" mode.  Swapping components out to try to isolate the problem.  It was then I found that going down from two memory sticks to one fixed the problem.  I also had a spare stick that I swapped in and that made the problem disappear too.  I exchanged the memory and haven't had a problem since.

    I saw the TCG error message early on which is how I ended up on this thread.  If my memory hadn't gotten so bad as to put me in "shotgun" mode, I would probably still be chasing after the disk encryption.

    This was the second time in my many years of computer building I went down the wrong path.  My previous problem was a sagging power supply.  Did you know the tolerance on the 5V line is only 5%?  I returned what was probably a perfectly good disk drive because it was showing bad SMART numbers due to a power supply that sagged on startup.

    So my personal recommendation is to check everything else out in your system to the best of your ability.  But if you still want to turn off disk encryption, I can give you the magic spell to turn Bitlocker all the way off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-15T02:22:33+00:00

    Thanks mbulger.  

    The PC build has been running with no issues since late December.  The trouble (system reboots when trying to play a video game), and the the TCG error is in the event log right before the critical error (system crash) every time.  Other than regular Windows updates, there have been no other changes to the system.

    WRT the SSD, I did install the firmware update, and that did not fix the issue.  I've been on the Crucial forum as well, and this seems to be a common issue (disk encryption related).

    How were you able to determine it was your memory stick causing the issue?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-15T01:38:28+00:00

    After getting my computer stable, my opinion right now is that the TCG Error is benign.  I get the error message EVERY time my computer starts up but haven't noticed any ill effects.  Having benign error messages is not new for Microsoft.  If you have Office 32 bit installed on a 64 bit system, you will get a SideBySide error every time you run an Office app.  The Knowledge Base explains it and tells you to ignore it.

    Is this a new build?  You might want to check for other causes.  Temperature?  Memory slot position?  Graphics card?

    If you want to get rid of the disk encryption completely, you will have to completely reset your MX100 and do a registry edit on reinstallation of Win 8.1.  The process is a bit complicated and I'll have to look it up.

    And Crucial just released an MU02 firmware update for the MX100.  If you don't have that, I'd try that first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-15T00:00:48+00:00

    In December, I purchased a Crucial MX100 SSD as part of a gaming computer build.  The system has Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit installed.  Recently, Windows began recording the following errors, after which the PC restarts.  Here are the details of the problem:

    The problem lies when doing anything that requires hard drive usage other than simple browsing, it happens within 5 mins on a game and manifests as a system restart. 

    Here are the logs from the event viewer.

    A TCG Command has returned an error.

    Desc: AuthenticateSession

    Param1: 0x1

    Param2: 0x60000001C

    Param3: 0x900000006

    Param4: 0x0

    Status: 0x12

    EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv

    Opcode : TcgLib

    A TCG Command has returned an error.

    Desc: AuthenticateSession

    Param1: 0x1

    Param2: 0x60000001C

    Param3: 0x900000006

    Param4: 0x0

    Status: 0x1

    EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv

    Opcode : TcgLib

    I visited Crucial's support site, and got the following advice:

    I can't tell you why it's happening but I can tell you what's going on.

    Windows it trying to access the Opal subsytem on the drive, the first step in that process is to sign on (Authenticate).

    Param2: 0x60000001C   <-- this is the methodID of Authenticate

    Param3: 0x900000006  <-- this is the UID of the SID (root/administrator user in Opal)

    A Status 0x1 is NOT_AUTHORIZED.  The password/userid is invalid.  Since we can see the userid is the SID and we know thats valid we can infer that the password is wrong.

    A Status 0x12  is AUTHORITY_LOCKED_OUT.   The limit on the number of attempts to authenticate has been exceeded, a power cycle is required to reset the counter.

    ____  Everything below this is speculation and can be completely wrong _____

    At some point you had bitlocker at least partially enabled, windows "took ownership" (a TCG term for changing the SID password from the default).  Then windows forgot/lost the SID password that it had set, now it's trying to set/check the Opal paramaters on the drive and failing because it doesn't have the authority.

    Why Windows would be trying to access the Opal subsystem if you have bitlocker turned off is beyond me, but I fail to grasp the wisdom of Redmond on many occasions.

    Your options at the point seem to be:

    1. Figure out the magic spell that turns bitlocker all the way off.
    2. Get Microsoft to acknowledge that this is a bug and fix it.

    *** All options below WILL crypto erase the drive and ALL of yout data WILL BE ERASED ***

    1. PSID revert the drive (and possibly secure erase it), reinstall windows and let bitlocker have its way with the drive.
    2. PSID revert the drive (and possibly secure erase it), set a BIOS password on the drive if your motherboard supports it and reinstall window.

    If anyone has a resolution to this issue, I'd be grateful to hear it; however, from what I gathered, this is a bug in BitLocker, and something the Windows team at Microsoft should look at.  Please file a bug.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments