Indexing not running in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-26T15:38:03+00:00

Help ,  I am trying to find out why my Indexing is not running at all. I tried rebuilding the index which doesn't show anything at all. I have never

encountered this problem. I tried the Windows troubleshooter and its response is comic all (Indexing is not working). I have a hard time searching

for anything. I did a check disc on my C drive but its working fine. Any Ideas I would truly appreciate it.                   Bob G._2014

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T09:13:56+00:00

    Hi Bob,

    -          Did this issue occur after upgrading to Windows 8.1?

     

    Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.

     

    Follow the steps:

    a) Press “Windows Key + Q Key” to open Charms Bar.

    b) Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

    c) On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

    d) Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter. Once this is done, restart the computer and check the status.

    You can go through the link below as a reference.

    Indexing and Search: Frequently asked questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/search-index-faq

     

    Let us know about the status of the issue. We would be happy to help you further.

    I have the same problem after I upgraded to 8.1 from 8.0. I get a message that the windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are in cbs.log. I am not able to open cbs.log as it says no permission to open.

    I tried to go to services and tried to start the wsearch service: It says starting and then stopped.

    If I start outlook as an administrator it says wsearch will not be availabel but I am able to search all the emails. If I start outlook normally then no search is available.

    I am able to search files using file explorer. I am also able to search net and programs using win search charm but not files.

    Please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T11:15:35+00:00

    The proposed "answers" all seem to repeat the same suggestions that have repeatedly been noted as not working. Basic windows productively requires a working search capability and while we wait for a real answer... I have installed Copernic's desktop search application. It is not perfect, but it works until there is a solution.

    As I have continued to research and troubleshoot the inability to start the services for indexing or windows search, I increasingly suspect the issue is related to the 8.1 registry. Has anyone investigated this?

    Does anyone know what values should exist in a "working" Windows 8.1, 64-bit environment?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T12:30:29+00:00

    Since the problem predates Windows 8.1, the odds are that a clean install is the most likely way to solve the issue. There is probably a setting that needs to be changed but what that is up in the air.

    For the software that you have paid for, take an inventory and check to see what software you have activation codes for and which you don't. Contact the vendors involved to explain the situation as they may have a record of your transaction even if you do not. They may have a setup where they can provide you with activation codes and/or download links to your software after the reinstall.

    Alternatively, here is an article on changing indexing options but these are probably things that you have already tried.

    http://windows7themes.net/lets-change-the-indexing-options-in-windows-8.html

    If the issue is with you current user account, create a new Administrator account and see if you can rebuild the index as that user.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T07:10:23+00:00

    When I try to change I get a message Indexing is not running. Try troubleshooting it says search not running not fixed. Hence there is no solution so far

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments