Indexing not running in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-26T15:38:03+00:00

Help ,  I am trying to find out why my Indexing is not running at all. I tried rebuilding the index which doesn't show anything at all. I have never

encountered this problem. I tried the Windows troubleshooter and its response is comic all (Indexing is not working). I have a hard time searching

for anything. I did a check disc on my C drive but its working fine. Any Ideas I would truly appreciate it.                   Bob G._2014

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T11:15:35+00:00

    The proposed "answers" all seem to repeat the same suggestions that have repeatedly been noted as not working. Basic windows productively requires a working search capability and while we wait for a real answer... I have installed Copernic's desktop search application. It is not perfect, but it works until there is a solution.

    As I have continued to research and troubleshoot the inability to start the services for indexing or windows search, I increasingly suspect the issue is related to the 8.1 registry. Has anyone investigated this?

    Does anyone know what values should exist in a "working" Windows 8.1, 64-bit environment?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T09:13:56+00:00

    Hi Bob,

    -          Did this issue occur after upgrading to Windows 8.1?

     

    Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.

     

    Follow the steps:

    a) Press “Windows Key + Q Key” to open Charms Bar.

    b) Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

    c) On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

    d) Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter. Once this is done, restart the computer and check the status.

    You can go through the link below as a reference.

    Indexing and Search: Frequently asked questions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/search-index-faq

     

    Let us know about the status of the issue. We would be happy to help you further.

    I have the same problem after I upgraded to 8.1 from 8.0. I get a message that the windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are in cbs.log. I am not able to open cbs.log as it says no permission to open.

    I tried to go to services and tried to start the wsearch service: It says starting and then stopped.

    If I start outlook as an administrator it says wsearch will not be availabel but I am able to search all the emails. If I start outlook normally then no search is available.

    I am able to search files using file explorer. I am also able to search net and programs using win search charm but not files.

    Please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-12T10:52:56+00:00

    Hi

    I have the same acceptable issues regarding indexing in Windows 8.1 as folks here seem to be having and indeed across other related forums.

    I have tried sfc /scannow (running as administrator), I have of course run the search and index troubleshooter. None of this works. Neither does the FAQ suggested has any step that I haven't considered / tried out.

    The search within Outlook doesn't work because it uses windows search and reports that index is not running. Rebuild doesn't help. As a result searching for emails is a near impossible task.

    The troubleshooter reports that "Windows Search service not working" and that this problem was "not fixed". This happens even if I run the troubleshooter as an Administrator.

    I have saved a fair number of screen shots of the problems I have faced, I could make them available if needed.

    Please help: this indexing issue and the Skydrive sync issues are really destroying Windows 8.1 user experience for me.

    Best Regards

    Jahar

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-08T13:50:19+00:00

    I have the same issue since updating to Windows 8.1 and indexing/search will not start. I have tried all the Microsoft recommendations up to and including a full system restore (leaving files in place) without result. I also ran several Malware removal applications since there were some suggestions that this might be the issue.... nothing was found.

    After several weeks of trouble shooting I have not found anything pointing to the actual cause or a solution. Any addition suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-03T18:11:35+00:00

    Hi Srimadhwa B.

    I tried using all your recommened advice but I had no luck their either. The problem occured before I upgraded to 8.1 version. The scan showed no errors. I have been using some

    older methods but still no luck. I Don't want to use system Restore or Reinstall windows back

    to new condition because I will lose some of my expensive software which I have to pay for again to reinstall. I tried all my backup systems but no luck. I ran all on my security programs to look for Malware or Virus's. Thank you for your help I have now narrowed down the possible causes.                                                                                      Thanks, Bob G.


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments