Indexing not running in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-26T15:38:03+00:00

Help ,  I am trying to find out why my Indexing is not running at all. I tried rebuilding the index which doesn't show anything at all. I have never

encountered this problem. I tried the Windows troubleshooter and its response is comic all (Indexing is not working). I have a hard time searching

for anything. I did a check disc on my C drive but its working fine. Any Ideas I would truly appreciate it.                   Bob G._2014

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-09T12:15:11+00:00

    I was facing similar issues in my Windows 8.1. Even though I clicked Rebuild in Indexing Options dialog, it didn't start indexing process. I did for several times, but went in vein.

    I restarted Windows Search service as below:

    Restart-Service WSearch -Force

    After that, Indexing Options starts working as expected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-08T03:02:52+00:00

    this is your standard answer and it does not WORK please post a fix for this issue that actually works

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-14T07:10:23+00:00

    When I try to change I get a message Indexing is not running. Try troubleshooting it says search not running not fixed. Hence there is no solution so far

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T12:30:29+00:00

    Since the problem predates Windows 8.1, the odds are that a clean install is the most likely way to solve the issue. There is probably a setting that needs to be changed but what that is up in the air.

    For the software that you have paid for, take an inventory and check to see what software you have activation codes for and which you don't. Contact the vendors involved to explain the situation as they may have a record of your transaction even if you do not. They may have a setup where they can provide you with activation codes and/or download links to your software after the reinstall.

    Alternatively, here is an article on changing indexing options but these are probably things that you have already tried.

    http://windows7themes.net/lets-change-the-indexing-options-in-windows-8.html

    If the issue is with you current user account, create a new Administrator account and see if you can rebuild the index as that user.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more