Indexing not running in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-26T15:38:03+00:00

Help ,  I am trying to find out why my Indexing is not running at all. I tried rebuilding the index which doesn't show anything at all. I have never

encountered this problem. I tried the Windows troubleshooter and its response is comic all (Indexing is not working). I have a hard time searching

for anything. I did a check disc on my C drive but its working fine. Any Ideas I would truly appreciate it.                   Bob G._2014

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-18T12:32:36+00:00

    Update on my situation (your results may vary). After consulting with Microsoft and Iolo tech support, I now know that I am missing vital registry keys. Apparently this is a known issue with Iolo System Mechanic 12.5 for which there is currently no fix. I did not have a restore point old enough to roll back the damage. Therefore, the only solution for me is a tedious refresh of my system. Because I started with Windows 8.0 and upgraded to Windows 8.1, I had to pay $15 to get a refresh disk for Windows 8.1 from Microsoft.

    Both Microsoft and Iolo assure me that once I refresh my system, indexing will work again - and I will have to reinstall all of my software. I think I will leave off Iolo System Mechanic for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-18T09:31:15+00:00

    The renaming of the Config file worked for me.

    I was having the same problems as others in this thread.  Searching my PC and the messages I could see that the problem was that my index file itself was corrupted or damaged so that the SEARCH would not start.  Since it would not start, I had the Advanced Options greyed out and hence could not change the current search location.  By renaming the registry file and effectively hiding it from the operating system, the search started and I could name a new location.  Now the PC is rebuilding the index at a new location that I can examine.  I hope my PC does not have a relapse!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-08T02:00:55+00:00

    Thanks, Kruger. This solution - renaming the registry key - worked for me a few times but Windows kept replacing the key, causing the problem all over again. Now this solution does not work at all. Even after I delete the registry key, I can't get the search service to restart.

    Another other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-01-07T21:11:29+00:00
    1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo and the letter R. It will launch the "Run" box.
    2. Type in "regedit"
    3. Now look for this string, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigs
    4. If you found it, right click on the folder and rename it to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigsBAK
    5. Close the Registry Editor and rebuild your Index

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-01-02T03:32:11+00:00

    It seems to me that the number of Win 8.1 users that have voiced that they are having the exact same issue should prove to MS that there is a DEFINITE PROBLEM... SO FIX IT!  Stop telling us to rub our heads and pat our bellies and dance in a circle.  Some of us that are having this problem (I would guess MOST of us) are using our computers for WORK and NEED our systems to work the way they are supposed to. For some reason, MS keeps giving us the run around and more meaningless updates that don't fix the issues at hand.  MS created this problem SO FIX IT!

    FIX OUR WINDOWS SYSTEMS or give us our money back!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments