Indexing not running in Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-26T15:38:03+00:00

Help ,  I am trying to find out why my Indexing is not running at all. I tried rebuilding the index which doesn't show anything at all. I have never

encountered this problem. I tried the Windows troubleshooter and its response is comic all (Indexing is not working). I have a hard time searching

for anything. I did a check disc on my C drive but its working fine. Any Ideas I would truly appreciate it.                   Bob G._2014

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-08T02:00:55+00:00

    Thanks, Kruger. This solution - renaming the registry key - worked for me a few times but Windows kept replacing the key, causing the problem all over again. Now this solution does not work at all. Even after I delete the registry key, I can't get the search service to restart.

    Another other suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-07T21:11:29+00:00
    1. On your keyboard, press the Windows logo and the letter R. It will launch the "Run" box.
    2. Type in "regedit"
    3. Now look for this string, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigs
    4. If you found it, right click on the folder and rename it to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\FileChangeClientConfigsBAK
    5. Close the Registry Editor and rebuild your Index

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-02T03:32:11+00:00

    It seems to me that the number of Win 8.1 users that have voiced that they are having the exact same issue should prove to MS that there is a DEFINITE PROBLEM... SO FIX IT!  Stop telling us to rub our heads and pat our bellies and dance in a circle.  Some of us that are having this problem (I would guess MOST of us) are using our computers for WORK and NEED our systems to work the way they are supposed to. For some reason, MS keeps giving us the run around and more meaningless updates that don't fix the issues at hand.  MS created this problem SO FIX IT!

    FIX OUR WINDOWS SYSTEMS or give us our money back!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-22T13:17:27+00:00

    Hi,

    I am sorry for the delay.

    It is a PowerShell cmdlet. For more information, please try the below:

    1. Open PowerShell command window in Administrator privileges. For which, you need to elevate the context using 'Run As Administrator' option available when you right-click on the application icon.
    2. Run the command Get-Help Restart-Service to get information about restart-service cmdlet.
    3. For complete information, you can also try the same with 'Full' attribute as Get-Help Restart-Service -Full.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-22T12:59:45+00:00

    Bad news: a few days ago I reported that Barry's registry key edit worked for me. This was true but only for a few days. Somehow Windows has recreated the offending registry key and now I have the same problems all over again. Barry's fix appeared to be temporary, at least for me. Still waiting for Microsoft to give us a permanent solution to this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments