Windows 8 Error Code: 0xc0000185.

Anonymous
2013-12-09T20:33:51+00:00

When I startup my Windows 8 Asus laptop it shows the Asus logo but underneath the logo it says "Preparing automatic repair" Then it goes to a blue screen that says "Your PC needs to be repaired A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed . Error code: 0xc0000185 you'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media" ect. also when I Press F8 for startup  settings it brings me something like this "File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi" Error Code: 0xc000000f" ... Please help! Also, my laptop was shutting itself off even when it's fully charged... I would very appreciated if someone would help me. Thank you for your time.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-01-21T16:29:34+00:00

Hello Pete,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue and apology for the delayed response.

I understand the inconvenience that you have to go through due to this issue.

I would suggest you to create a Windows 8 bootable USB drive and the try the above steps provided by me.

**Note:**When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

Please reply with the results, in order to help you fix the issue.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-01-28T04:01:16+00:00

Hello Ana,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

Was Windows 8 preinstalled on your laptop?

If yes, then I would suggest you to contact Asus support team and with the help of that serial number they might be able to assist you for the product key.

Hope this information helps.

Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.        

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-09-06T18:59:57+00:00

Hello,

Make sure that the BIOS settings of your computer would allow you to boot from an external device by following the steps below:

  1. Press the Power button to turn on your computer, then immediately tap on F2 key repeatedly until you see the BIOS screen.
  2. Go to Boot tab and make sure that Launch CSM is Enabled.
  3. Go to Security tab and then set Secure Boot Control to Disabled.
  4. Save and Exit out of BIOS to apply the changes.

After doing the above-mentioned steps, kindly attempt to boot to your USB Windows installer by doing the following:

  1. Press the Power button to turn on your computer, then immediately tap on Esc key repeatedly until you see the prompt showing "Please select boot device".
  2. Select your bootable USB media and then hit Enter.

You may also refer to all the information below about bootable USB operating system:

  1. After creating the bootable USB operating system installer, you need to boot to that drive. Simply connecting it to the machine and turning it on will not do anything.
  2. After successfully booting to the USB operating system installer, select the custom/advanced install and delete all partitions. (All data will be lost)
  3. After installing the operating system, download drivers from manufacturer's website.

Let us know how it goes.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-07T23:02:32+00:00

    Ok I need help my laptop just crashed and is displaying the exact error, I have no recovery disc or USB, I don't even have another computer to make a disc. And I am also on Windows 10 via free upgrade. Is there a way to factory reset or am I stuck?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-05T17:32:14+00:00

    I am also having this problem, and was directed to a useless webpage by Asus showing me how to find the product key sticker on the bottom of the notebook ( There isnt one by the way ) ... Asus are less than useless, my notebook is still in warranty and they refuse to help because its a software problem and therefore not covered by warranty. What a complete joke.

    1-I cant repair it because it just says "attempting repairs", I left it like this for 36 hours. (see photo here)

    2- I cant install it with mediacreation, because it says "compatibility report" (see photo here).

    3- When I try to install it to a specific partition (os) it hangs on 0% so I cancelled it after trying for 6 hours and it was still on 0% (see photo here).

    4- Finally I cant reset the pc because it says "Reset your pc, please wait" and stays like that with no change (see photo here).

    So now I'm left with paying someone to reinstall windows that i've already paid for by buying the damned notebook? or binning this notebook and buying something that doesnt corrupt itself after 3 months ??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments