Windows 8 Error Code: 0xc0000185.

Anonymous
2013-12-09T20:33:51+00:00

When I startup my Windows 8 Asus laptop it shows the Asus logo but underneath the logo it says "Preparing automatic repair" Then it goes to a blue screen that says "Your PC needs to be repaired A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed . Error code: 0xc0000185 you'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media" ect. also when I Press F8 for startup  settings it brings me something like this "File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi" Error Code: 0xc000000f" ... Please help! Also, my laptop was shutting itself off even when it's fully charged... I would very appreciated if someone would help me. Thank you for your time.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-01-21T16:29:34+00:00

Hello Pete,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue and apology for the delayed response.

I understand the inconvenience that you have to go through due to this issue.

I would suggest you to create a Windows 8 bootable USB drive and the try the above steps provided by me.

**Note:**When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

Please reply with the results, in order to help you fix the issue.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-01-28T04:01:16+00:00

Hello Ana,

Thank you for keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

Was Windows 8 preinstalled on your laptop?

If yes, then I would suggest you to contact Asus support team and with the help of that serial number they might be able to assist you for the product key.

Hope this information helps.

Please feel free to reply, in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.        

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-09-06T18:59:57+00:00

Hello,

Make sure that the BIOS settings of your computer would allow you to boot from an external device by following the steps below:

  1. Press the Power button to turn on your computer, then immediately tap on F2 key repeatedly until you see the BIOS screen.
  2. Go to Boot tab and make sure that Launch CSM is Enabled.
  3. Go to Security tab and then set Secure Boot Control to Disabled.
  4. Save and Exit out of BIOS to apply the changes.

After doing the above-mentioned steps, kindly attempt to boot to your USB Windows installer by doing the following:

  1. Press the Power button to turn on your computer, then immediately tap on Esc key repeatedly until you see the prompt showing "Please select boot device".
  2. Select your bootable USB media and then hit Enter.

You may also refer to all the information below about bootable USB operating system:

  1. After creating the bootable USB operating system installer, you need to boot to that drive. Simply connecting it to the machine and turning it on will not do anything.
  2. After successfully booting to the USB operating system installer, select the custom/advanced install and delete all partitions. (All data will be lost)
  3. After installing the operating system, download drivers from manufacturer's website.

Let us know how it goes.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-14T18:56:48+00:00

    Hello Amit K Verma,

    I'm having the same problem with a samsung laptop 700-h01, but when I try to boot it from the USB it doesn't give me that blue screen error again, but instead after the samsung logo start up it just goes pitch black and stays there..

    I have tried many things but I'm not used to windows 8 the boot menu its all very different from previous windows.

    Hope you can help me out.

    Thank you in advance

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-31T03:36:19+00:00

    I have a toshiba satellite c55t-b5110 laptop I also have this issue I can't fully load up to go even put my computer password but I used another computer to put the media that was suggested to put on a usb flash drive and plug it in and try to f12 it to install on computer but won't work. Is there anything more I can try to do I have a picture of the options my blue screen shows. Reply with an email address and I'll send it to that email. Thanks.

    http://s282.photobucket.com/user/Quickfoot\_photo\_photo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments