Adjusting Screen Brightness - Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-31T15:30:48+00:00

I recently updated my Windows 8 to an 8.1 and ever since then I can't change my screen's brightness. I have to restart my laptop (ASUS X401U) to make the adjustment appear. How do I fix this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-06T05:18:38+00:00

What you both want to do is open control panel, search for "Update Device Drivers", open that, then under display adapters, double click on AMD Radeon HD 7340M. Go to the driver tab, click update driver, then  my computer for driver software. Then click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on m computer. Click on Graphics version 8.982.7.0 and hit next. The latest version 13 drivers don't work well for some reason on 8.1, but the old version 8 seems to be OK. I hope I was able to help and I hope Microsoft does something about this. If I had known about Windows 8.1 issues in advance, I would never have updated. I can't even open up my bloody metro apps.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-05-29T21:22:17+00:00

I had the same problem, but fixed it. Go to control panel, system and security, power options. Click on your selected power plan "change plan settings".  Then to "change advanced power settings". Scroll down to display, then turn off adaptive brightness. Now restart your PC. Now you should be able to adjust brightness like normal.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-10T05:38:47+00:00

    My screen so dark I can't even see the control panel.77

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-01T17:55:45+00:00

    Have you tried updating it twice, because that's what I did, and it did work. but for some reason my icons on the bottom disappeared, so I have to shut it down, but after that is worked. :D

    I hope it helped or something.

    Luis Rodriguez

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-01T16:58:54+00:00

    I have the same issue on my ASUS and updated the driver.  It did not work.  It is still dim.  When is Microsoft going to fix the issue with the 8.1.  I have taken my computer in and when they installed the driver, it worked for a short period of time.  I wish I would have never updated to 8.1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments