Adjusting Screen Brightness - Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-31T15:30:48+00:00

I recently updated my Windows 8 to an 8.1 and ever since then I can't change my screen's brightness. I have to restart my laptop (ASUS X401U) to make the adjustment appear. How do I fix this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-06T05:18:38+00:00

What you both want to do is open control panel, search for "Update Device Drivers", open that, then under display adapters, double click on AMD Radeon HD 7340M. Go to the driver tab, click update driver, then  my computer for driver software. Then click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on m computer. Click on Graphics version 8.982.7.0 and hit next. The latest version 13 drivers don't work well for some reason on 8.1, but the old version 8 seems to be OK. I hope I was able to help and I hope Microsoft does something about this. If I had known about Windows 8.1 issues in advance, I would never have updated. I can't even open up my bloody metro apps.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-05-29T21:22:17+00:00

I had the same problem, but fixed it. Go to control panel, system and security, power options. Click on your selected power plan "change plan settings".  Then to "change advanced power settings". Scroll down to display, then turn off adaptive brightness. Now restart your PC. Now you should be able to adjust brightness like normal.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-08T11:51:18+00:00

    THANKS!! GREAT HELP :))))

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-30T20:27:26+00:00

    Oh never mind, what Daniel Nasim say to do it really did work me for me but I had to update my driver twice before I had to shutdown from the button (look a picture{I had to do twice}) because my icons from the bottom disappeared and I couldn't pull up my start Menu.

    But Thank you

    Luis Rodriguez

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-30T19:55:33+00:00

    This happens to me too I cant adjust the levels of the brightness when I did the update  and I tried to do what Daniel Nasim said to do....  but I'm so confused.

    this is what is says when I tried to do it when I was done.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments