Adjusting Screen Brightness - Windows 8.1

Anonymous
2013-10-31T15:30:48+00:00

I recently updated my Windows 8 to an 8.1 and ever since then I can't change my screen's brightness. I have to restart my laptop (ASUS X401U) to make the adjustment appear. How do I fix this?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-11-06T05:18:38+00:00

What you both want to do is open control panel, search for "Update Device Drivers", open that, then under display adapters, double click on AMD Radeon HD 7340M. Go to the driver tab, click update driver, then  my computer for driver software. Then click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on m computer. Click on Graphics version 8.982.7.0 and hit next. The latest version 13 drivers don't work well for some reason on 8.1, but the old version 8 seems to be OK. I hope I was able to help and I hope Microsoft does something about this. If I had known about Windows 8.1 issues in advance, I would never have updated. I can't even open up my bloody metro apps.

Was this answer helpful?

40+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-05-29T21:22:17+00:00

I had the same problem, but fixed it. Go to control panel, system and security, power options. Click on your selected power plan "change plan settings".  Then to "change advanced power settings". Scroll down to display, then turn off adaptive brightness. Now restart your PC. Now you should be able to adjust brightness like normal.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-11T22:44:16+00:00

    Thank you very much!!!  Everything I tried on my own didn't work.  When I followed your step-by-step instructions the brightness readjusted itself and now I'm happy again. Thank you for taking the time to post this for others like myself who need more in-depth help to fix this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-13T21:58:01+00:00

    I wasn't able to find an updated driver (old laptop).  I think the problem began with an update that I installed.  I installed another update today and my wifi stopped working so I had no choice but to use the system restore wizard to go back to an earlier configuration.  I tried going back to before the previous update and it fixed both the display brightness problem and the wifi problem, but now I have to worry about security holes.  I hope someone at Microsoft will read this and fix the problems in the last two updates that broke the screen brightness control and the wifi.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-13T11:52:11+00:00

    even i also face the same problem but chilll i have solution for this just simply install the graphic driver again in my case it was Intel HD Graphic 3000 no matter which one you have just go to this link and download it for free.......everything gonna ok

    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000%2f2000

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments