Google Chrome says can't connect to the proxy server, proxy keeps resetting

Anonymous
2014-04-14T02:02:06+00:00

Original Title: Proxy keeps resseting on Windows 8.1?

Google Chrome said it can't connect to the proxy server. So I went and tried to uncheck the box, but it keeps reverting back to being checked. I've tried everything. From looking to see if it was a malware problem, to putting in the "http://localhost/proxy.pac" on the address after checking the "Use automatic configuration script" This is getting tiresome. Can someone please help?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-21T00:56:44+00:00

I was going crazy with exactly the same issues as you and finally figured it out. 

Explorer and Google use the same settings. So when you change one, the other responds as well.  The easiest way to fix this is in Explorer, but it you don't have that, you can do the same thing by going to the Google Chrome icon, right click and open it with "Run as Administrator."   Then do the same things I did below from Chrome Settings  If you don't know where to find this, the bar just below the  top bar has see 3 horizontal lines. Click with left button, down to settings, then go to Advanced Settings towards the bottom to CHANGE PROXY SETTINGS.  This brings up the same Setting Box as in Internet Explorer.  Then follow instructions on "D".

A. If you have Internet Explorer, go to your icon for Internet Explorer on the Start Menu.  Click on your right right mouse button and on the drop down menu, open it with "Run as Administrator." 

B,. When you do this, then a box opens and it asks if you want this program to make changes to your computer.  Click Yes.  Then it opens Explorer.

C. Go up to the menu (If you don't see one, then click on gray bar just under the dark blue Internet Explorer Bar with your right mouse and check menu).  On the Menu bar, go to Tools and then at the drop down menu, click on Internet Options. 

D. Then select the tab, Connections, then LAN settings and REMOVE THE CHECK from  USE PROXY SERVER and now CHECK AUTOMATICALLY DETECT SETTINGS.  CLICK OK in LAN Setting Box and then OK in the final window.  NOW IT WILL STAY since it now recognizes you as the Administrator.

All the best!

Patricia

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-11-23T14:13:59+00:00

I was dealing with the same problem until just yesterday (August 31, 2014).  I had tried a variety of "fixes" mentioned online with no success, including the "Run as Administrator" suggestion mentioned here; initially it seemed to work, but the LAN settings kept reverting back to being checked.  I ended up finding a program that had installed itself on my computer to be the source of my frustrations.  I went into Remove Programs within Control Panel and scrolled through the installed programs looking for anything suspicious. I found one called "Browser Security" that somehow became installed back in January, 2014.  I recognized that it was not associated with either McAfee or with Windows Defender, so I removed it.  My connection to the internet has worked well since then; the LAN proxy server box has remained unchecked and the Automatic Detection box is checked, as it should be.

If you find a similar program on your computer, just know that when you go to delete it a message box will come up with a rather official looking "warning" stating that you are about to delete vital security software. This is no doubt intended to frighten the timid in order to help insure that the program remains in place. If you are using Windows Defender, McAfee or some other trust worthy internet security software, then you needn't be concerned.

Hopefully this will work for anyone still experiencing frustrations.  Good luck.

Ross, YES, thank you,  finally, this resolved the issue for me! I too had tried everything, including Run as Administrator, thought I was going to go insane. I pulled up Control Panel and found a Browser program in there along with two other programs that I accidentally downloaded and removed them. All fixed! Though I have to hand it to Patricia2002 for that detailed explanation about Run as Administrator, because it taught me good stuff. I'm working from home  now, spoiled by having really great IT people for 8 years, so have to get on top of this myself.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-12-27T17:37:19+00:00

Thanks i was having this issue with my proxy server from long... tried everything registry edit n all... nothing worked... but Only ur Solution worked... even i thought to reset at manufacture setting and erase all.. but ur solution helped alot...

Thanks alot..:)

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-30T15:11:08+00:00

    The first time this happened to me, Avast! Internet Security was the cause. This happened to me again on friday when I tried to connect to Wi-Fi at Starbucks. I had Avast! Installed at the time. I went through regedit the day after (start your PC in safe mode before doing this) and I went throught the folderds to internet settings. If you have this problem, you should have 2 files in the internet settings folder that are named ProxyEnable and ProxyServer. I had ProxyEnable, but not ProxyServer. Delete both files and restart your PC. Open Google Chrome and see if this works. It didn't work for me, and I don't have any "suspicious programs" because I never installed or dowloaded anything on Friday.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-12T15:19:27+00:00

    Patricia, thank you for saving my sanity this morning. My new Windows 8.1 computer suddenly developed this issue, and I couldn't even get it to display the search engine results for this problem. This is why I always have a backup computer somewhere. Your solution worked perfectly, and things are back to normal. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments