Thanks sammoss. I've enjoyed chatting with you too and I am impressed with your knowledge. I wish I had some of that ;), :).
Good luck to you and take care.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
After an arduous but successful tech support session repairing corrupted 8.1 updates LogMeIn Rescue RC remains on my computer. Of course it is not listed in add/remove programs. In hindsight I should have asked the tech to clean up after himself. This also resulted in a multitude of 3rd party software services being diasbled including my firewall of which I have no reference as to their proper setting but one problem at a time.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Thanks sammoss. I've enjoyed chatting with you too and I am impressed with your knowledge. I wish I had some of that ;), :).
Good luck to you and take care.
yeah going to the regedit an removing all traces is a good way to get rid of things (just be sure of what you're doing as the registry is the 'heart an soul' of a machine. I've found all kinds of things searching the registry, but won't go into all that.
being a bit nervous about tech's is okay but they're there to help an tapping into your pc to 'take control' is mostly nothing to worry about just make double sure the person is who they say they are (MS tech)
I've found it better to google issues an handle it myself. it may take a bit of hunting an searching to find the answer but they're out there. I've spent DAY's with sessions lasting 4 to 6 hr's with MS an couldn't resolve the issue an come to find out by searching on my own (was trying to do the free upgrade from W7 to W10 back in July & Aug of 2015) when the issue was expanding my partition from 100 MB to 500 MB after I did that the update went without a hitch.
If you're leery about something don't hesitate to ask or search for answers. The more you do the more you'll feel comfortable doing things yourself....hey we're all in this thing together.
good luck an nice chatting with you.
BTW, I telephoned Microsoft Australia on: 13 20 58. My first technician to log me into LogMeIn Rescue was Asher. The 2nd tier technician (to whom my situation had been elevated) is Joel. Both men seemed very pleasant, patient and professional. But when I closed my computer after session 2, there was a message saying "Your computer is open in another location and if you close any new information may be lost"...or words to that effect. That's what scared me as there was no such message after session 1. I rang back on 13 20 58 and was reassured by the technician that all was safe. BUT then I found LogMeIn Rescue still present in my computer. That scared me more. Then I deleted some folders from downloads- LogMeIn Applets I think it was. Luckily I came upon this site. I tried your extremely helpful steps sammoss but, as said, I'm not techie and I might have entered details into the CMD.exe wrongly. I know all it takes is one character or space to be wrong.
Then I came upon the other steps (1 to 7 as shown above). Your guidance is what lead me to discovering LogMeIn Rescue in Services and the associated
LogMeIn Rescue (a9b3cc8-91db-61c9-de32-90b76c78b865)
Anyway, I thought I'd explain in a bit more detail. I hope this elaborates my problem better so you can understand sammoss. I also hope this helps other people who are not very computer savvy...like me.
Thanks again.
Hi sammoss. Yes, I did see a listing in Services. I saw this:
LogMeIn Rescue (a9b3cc8-91db-61c9-de32-90b76c78b865)
Then I tried to follow your instructions (thank you), but may have got something wrong.
Then I followed the steps below. Not all entries were there as I'd deleted some LogMeIn applets etc already. BUT
LogMeIn Rescue (a9b3cc8-91db-61c9-de32-90b76c78b865) was there. Then I followed the instructions below (after this) and point (7) step for this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
removed the string.
I hope that's the end. I'm scared the technician has inadvertently downloaded stuff onto my computer. This site and others say hacking can piggyback on innocent interactions through LogMeIn Rescue. He wanted another LogMeIn session today, but I'm too scared to allow this. I'll live with the Outlook email issue. I've had a sleepless night out of fear of this.
Steps mentioned above are this:
Thank you sammoss.
aitch are you able to see a listing in 'Services'? Such as LMI? Are you getting any Event Viewer errors?
Those Event Errors are what led me to the fix that was posted.(not to mention LMI starting on each re-boot) obviously the tech ended the session before I did or was cut off or disconnected, I do remember him starting it back up twice then leaving without saying anything so I guess my machine kept 'looking' for him.
So if you do try to connect with them an something goes wrong either on their end or yours Log Me In will keep 'searching' for some reason.