Gettign error code 0x800F0906 when installing .NET Framework 3.5

Anonymous
2014-02-13T04:39:18+00:00

Original title: Error with installing .NET Framework 3.5

Many programs that I plan to install require .NET Framework 3.5, which is something my computer lacks. Normally one would go to Programs and Features>Turn Windows Features on or off to enable/disable this, but whenever I try to install this, it brings me to this:

error message: 0x800F0906: windows cannot connect to the internet to complete the installations.

Weird, as I have perfectly normal internet connection (by the way, every single image i try to provide won't upload. sorry).

So then i tried to enter this in CMD.exe on run as administrator: Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs /LimitAccessbut that also failed as well, for a very unusual problem:

Error: 0x800f081f: The source files could not be found. Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore this feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077. The DISM log can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log.

I do not know if this is normal or not, but the dism.log brings up this load of jumble.

I also noticed that the top thing displays DISM rather than dism.log, making me wonder if I had the wrong file. I tried searching for dism.log, but with no avail.

Please help me with this, this is for some important software.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-08-25T04:07:55+00:00

There are two previously installed updates that are blocking the installation. A simple solution for many is to go to control panel / uninstall a program / view installed updates (top left corner) and then delete these two updates: KB2966826 and KB2966828. Then go back to windows update / view installed updates / enable windows features and check the .net framework 3.5. Then windows update will download it without saying it cannot connect to the internet. Windows update will reinstall the two removed updates later without any ill effect. 

I spent many hours yesterday pulling my hair out and coming up with interesting words to describe windows 8.1. I tried to use windows update, I tried enabling it in windows features only to be told it could not connect to the internet, I tried to access it in the installation dvd for hours and command prompt never found the source. Finally I saw a comment on a youtube video which said to remove the two updates that were blocking it. It worked perfectly after that.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-14T02:39:42+00:00

Hi Jack,

This behavior can also be caused by a system administrator who configures the computer to use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) instead of the Microsoft Windows Update server for servicing.

Perform steps from the link mentioned below and see if it helps.

**.NET Framework 3.5 installation error: 0x800F0906, 0x800F081F, 0x800F0907** 

Note: Perform steps mentioned in Method 2

Also,check the link mentioned below as a reference:

**http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443.aspx**

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-02T12:52:57+00:00

There are two previously installed updates that are blocking the installation. A simple solution for many is to go to control panel / uninstall a program / view installed updates (top left corner) and then delete these two updates: KB2966826 and KB2966828. Then go back to windows update / view installed updates / enable windows features and check the .net framework 3.5. Then windows update will download it without saying it cannot connect to the internet. Windows update will reinstall the two removed updates later without any ill effect. 

I spent many hours yesterday pulling my hair out and coming up with interesting words to describe windows 8.1. I tried to use windows update, I tried enabling it in windows features only to be told it could not connect to the internet, I tried to access it in the installation dvd for hours and command prompt never found the source. Finally I saw a comment on a youtube video which said to remove the two updates that were blocking it. It worked perfectly after that. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Once again in inimitable form Microsoft has provided us solutions / work around to solve a problem, and then slammed the door shut with security patches.  I uninstalled the two patches you noted and everything worked as expected.  No group policy update, no DISM (which didn't work no matter how I tried it) and I just went to Programs and Features -> Turn windows features on or off and checked the box for .NET 3.5 and it downloaded from Windows update and installed just fine.

Thank you again for helping with this solution

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-12-26T12:27:52+00:00

    I have same problem but, KB2966826 and KB2966828 are not installed in my

    Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features\installed updates

    so, what can i do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-19T02:30:00+00:00

    You should include CMD commands for removing the following updates (see below) prior to running the command to install the .Net framework 3.5... I am using windows 8. Run CMD as admin. I need win 8 NOT 8.1 [ NOTE: SW2013 SP3 doesn't support Win8.1 or Office 2013...] and .Net Framework 3.5 is needed to install visual studio tools for Solidworks 2013 SP3. I hope this info can help some people with the same problem and save them some time.

    I used:

    wusa /uninstall /kb:2966826 /quiet /norestart

    wusa /uninstall /kb:2966827 /quiet /norestart 

    wusa /uninstall /kb:2966828 /quiet /norestart

    Then run,

    dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source: C:\sxs /LimitAccess

    Replacing "C:\sxs" with the file path to your "sxs" file. Be it on CD, another drive, or a network.

    Also, it would be a lot more helpful if someone included a link to a RELIABLE download of the sxs file with all components as some of us can't find our OS disks, ie. myself. I had to download the files from a rather sketchy source.

    Welcome,

    Steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments