Can't access Windows Store

Anonymous
2013-10-17T14:36:48+00:00

Here is my problem. Whenever I try to open Windows Store there's a message saying "We weren't able to connect to the Store. This might have happened because of a server problem or the network connection timed out. Please wait a few minutes and try again." . But, my internet works just fine. I saw some other suggestions about using a troubleshoter, but it didn't work all it says is that my display adapter isn't up-to-date, although it is! I am using Windows 8 Pro 64-bit and I wanted to download the the 8.1 update from the Store. Any reply is appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Microsoft Store

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-10T07:10:12+00:00

    Thank you for the suggestions. I have tried all the simple "unclicking" suggestions, and since there were not proxy settings anyway, they did nothing to improve the situation.

    However I have just tried the suggestion:

         'Open an administrative command prompt and type the following

    netsh winhttp reset proxy

    In this case the console window should have looked like this:

    But instead it looked like this:

    The problem still exists, even  though no proxy is involved - but does the "Error ...." message give someone a clue that might help me?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-07T17:25:19+00:00

    I had the exact same problem, finally fixed it today by going on Internet Explorer, going into Internet options, going into the connections tab and then LAN settings and unticking the proxy server box

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-07T17:23:47+00:00

    I had the exact same problem, finally fixed it today by going on Internet Explorer, going into Internet options, going into the connections tab and then LAN settings and unticking the proxy server box

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-01T04:32:47+00:00

    I had the same issue and  running the command in the link  above fixed it for me on my  surface pro run ring 8.1.  Thanks!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-10-31T04:18:38+00:00

    beyond frustrating!  sorry to hear it still is terrible.

    I have no new suggestions ...  but here is a cleaner way to guarantee you are not in a proxy:

    http://www.niallbrady.com/2013/06/27/how-to-fix-when-windows-store-tells-you-we-werent-able-to-connect-to-the-store-this-might-have/

    Open an administrative command prompt and type the following

    netsh winhttp reset proxy

    and just for fun to make sure not a regional issue  you can change geographic location of store by...

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_store/how-to-change-country-in-the-store-in-windows-8/16efa23f-a4ae-4ba1-8d56-8cc2f958f38a

    Change your location from the control panel / region / change location

    only another far out suggestion  ..as you do start our in the great Britain store ..  then location changes to several things with Australia in it.

    but really you have tried everything suggested  that should have fixed your issue by now.   good lucks!

    (and not sure I understand  what you did for your update ...  as short of a msdn account and getting iso image.. the only way I know to update from 8 to 8.1 is through the store /// or from 7 to 8 then to 8.1 in store  to keep all your settings and files.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments