Got my laptop upgraded from 8 to 8.1 with no problem. Now trying to get my desktop machine up to 8.1 and no go. Same message, We weren't able etc. etc. etc.
Tried all the suggestions I could find except resetting and then having to reinstall all my apps. I have to say, this is the kind of thing I've grown to expect from MS over the years.
Come on, they are suppose to be the smartest people in the world right. WTF?
Before I reload all my apps, I will keep using 8.0 until I can afford an Apple and be done with MS fo evah!
Here is my last post on this subject - I have reached the end of my rope.
I recently discovered (in a magazine article) that some OEM licenses for Windows do not allow upgrades. And that explains it all. Another cute deal cut by MS, but without proper awareness in the user body. If they had only let me know, it would have saved me
countless hours and several weeks of frustrating work.
In my case, the original ASUS installation included drivers and utilities necessary to make the laptop run well. It was quite good with the original installation. Then the upgrade top Win 8 went badly, and finally needed a reset install to work. It was fine
for a almost a year, but then, as the updates piled up, bits of Windows (like Skype) began to fall off and not run.
Forward to 8.1 release, and my machine would not see the Windows Store as this thread shows so clearly. Eventually, a whole new install of Windows 8 was tried - several times in several different ways - but all ran only until there were any updates. With almost
any of the updates, Win 8 would stop loading properly.
What is clear here is that the upgrade disc from Win 7 to Win 8 would not do all it was expected to do because of the limitations imposed on the original Win7 licence.
That machine was then reloaded with the original ASUS Win 7 install, and now it runs just fine again. Furthermore, it is now dual booted with the ZorinOS flavour of Linux, and it is working very well indeed. I am learning Linux, which seems to be no harder
(just different) and often rather simpler. I am now in transition away from Windows to the greatest extent I can.
For work, I have bought a Lenovo Helix with Win 8.1, and it seems fine and dandy. But again, MS have treated users with condescension. Ways of working with Windows that we have learned over the years do not always apply to the new operating systems. MS are
reported as saying that one or other of the older, simple, routines are "being deprecated because MS feels that users will ......"
MS feels threatened, that's what it is, and MS strategists are so concerned with what they have to achieved for their own corporation, they have forgotten what we have to achieve in our jobs. Forgetting your user body is never a good idea.
I hope MS will rethink their position before Win 9 comes along and burns off more people.
I had found Linux to be too much to deal with before, but with Windows constantly changing its rules, I now find Linux only different - not harder. Now I have a Linux laptop machine in the office to learn on (along with two Linux servers), I can move away from
Windows further and more quickly .
Microsoft really dies need to rethink the paradigm!!!