in another thread the location of a windows store log was hinted at ..and indeed, if you look at the last thing just before you see network or server error message...it says what went wrong.
c:\users\whatever name you have\appdata (make visible if can't see folder)\local\packages\winstore_cw5nc1h2txye\AC\temp <-here you will find winstore.log. open it up I notepad and see what it says just before it reports the message everyone is seeing.
seems connection is indeed being refused in my case.
"WinStoreCache::DoQuery: Provider 0 returned failure for GetConsumer, hr=0x80860006
2013-10-19 23:21:29.552, _Error_ WS [00005868:00005848] CWinStoreSettings::SettingsDataReady: error retrieving identity settings, HRESULT = 0x80860006"
EDIT: my situation is now resolved but ugh. I had to change local account to a MS one .... got never ending green page reran app fixer.. but this time it worked and now I have store back. but the ugh part is because it is just like I thought... now
I have to boot to a lock screen and enter a password. grrrr.
plus, I hate the idea of being identified and being watched now. So now I am not sure if this messes up my update because I may be using wrong account or if it is all "good" now. I am also not sure why my other local account sees the store with no trouble
then if they are now forcing account change.
EDIT 2: and one last final note ... you will not see upgrade option in store if using the preview version.
So you have to open the store ...then open your browser and copy the next line into the url ...
ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade
Having finally arrived and finding out it will take out not just your metro apps but the desktop apps also, I am now leaning towards just restoring the system image I made just before installing the preview version... Lol, but even here one person has already
said they were unable to restore. good luck to all of you :)