This version of Windows is no longer supported by the Windows Store

Anonymous
2013-10-21T02:12:10+00:00

Hi,

Two days ago I went to the Windows store to upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 Pro. It took a while but the upgrade appears to have worked. But, now when I go to the Windows Store it states that "This version of Windows is no longer supported by the Windows Store".

It recommends I get the newest version of Windows which ultimately leads back to the store with the above error message.

Have I successfully upgraded or not? How can I get the Windows Store working if it has been successful?

Any advice here would be appreciated.

I had Windows 8 Pro before the upgrade and I have never downloaded the Windows 8.1 Preview.

Justin

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T20:49:44+00:00

    From this other thread on answers.microsoft.com I found this and it worked for me.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8\_1-windows\_store/this-version-of-windows-is-no-longer-supported-by/c003b654-b9f7-4bc7-be60-bcb2d05758d2?page=1

    Apparently there is an issue with update "Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2887595)" thanks to Doug for finding it.

    To remove the update:

    Control Panel -> Windows Update

    Bottom left "See also" Installed Updates click on that

    Then a list of Windows Updates will appear, I believe the update mentioned above is under the section of Microsoft Windows once you find it right click it and select Uninstall.

    It will take a couple of minutes for the update to be removed then you must restart your computer

    To help prevent that update from being reinstalled when it shows up in your Windows Update list right click it and select Hide Update. You must do this before your system does it's next automated Windows Update. Other wise you'll have to re-uninstall the update.

    Again Cheers to Doug for finding the fix for me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T14:40:29+00:00

    It worked for me too. Thanks a lot!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T03:37:34+00:00

    Thanks it worked.

    Perhaps Microsoft could send you some money for pointing out something they should have at least come up with an answer to their system issues before a user did.

    Windows 8.1 seems to be user managed and user fixed.  Might as well being using Linux open code.

    I am still stymied: why buy anything from the Store when Microsoft can't guarantee use?

    The previous issue was your PC account disappearing.  Microsoft response: "Too bad, so sad. Guess you will have to buy your apps all over again."  And that was for a Microsoft inherent error.

    Where do they get the nerve?

    It might cost me an extra 1,000 to go Mac when you roll in the S/W and such but at least I would know I could use what I pay for!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T03:21:19+00:00

    i have the same problem at first, I got scared but i did a system restore since i might install a program that might affect it and the store worked but after i did an update it gave me the error and i thought it was only happening to me

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-11-17T03:14:45+00:00

    While I admire that you have found a potential solution for us it bothers me that:

    1 - Microsoft caused it

    2 - Microsoft doesn't provide the answer

    3 - Microsoft Store seems to be extremely sensitive to interruptions and disconnects

    4 - Microsoft apps can be unusable for the smallest reason

    5- Microsoft 8.1 was supposed to solve how bad windows 8 was but didn't

    6 - I have no guarantee that anything I buy at the Windows Store will be accessible

    So s/w on discs are definitely safer, XBOX has major, major issues as a source of games and 8.1 was a superficial update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments