Issue with installing updates on Windows 8.1.

Anonymous
2014-05-16T15:14:55+00:00

I am told (windows update) that there are three important updates available. But when they run they get to c89% and fail. PC reboots and undoes changes. This repeats about very fifth boot. It's getting tedious. When does Microsoft propose to issue an update that works? And why was this update not properly tested?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T11:39:32+00:00

    Thanks Xircal but I have done both those dozens of times now to no effect at all.

    Next...?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T11:51:57+00:00

    Hi Robert

    Sorry, I was just being lazy/tired. I used to teach unix shell scripting so I'm quite familiar with pipes and filters.

    My output is:

    211968 C:\Windows\softwaredistribution.bak\Download\367ea478b6d14d929c45a19dc20a53e5\x86_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_f37c59e329204af6\Dism.exe

    188416 C:\Windows\System32\Dism.exe                                                                                                                                                             

    188416 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Dism.exe                                                                                                                                                             

    245760 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_4f680322e1a371ba\Dism.exe                                                          

     35983 C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_4f9af566e17dbc2c\Dism.exe                                                          

    188416 C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_f349679f29460084\Dism.exe                                                            

    211968 C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_f37c59e329204af6\Dism.exe 

    Same files, different locations! What a mess.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T13:07:14+00:00

    I wouldn't place too much credence on what JW0194 writes Robert. That post of his is just a copy/paste from a couple of other sites. If you look at his profile, he's been around since 2009, but has yet to get his "First Answer" badge even.

    Also, /Resetbase will prevent the user from uninstalling all previous updates: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825265.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T14:09:15+00:00

    I really appreciate the information supplied by JW0194. I intend to use that information as soon as I am able to find a Win 8.1 ISO. It makes no difference to most users whether a poster has a badge or title as most of us are looking for answers to problems rather than viewing a poster's profile.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-06-02T18:31:25+00:00

    quite familiar with pipes and filters.

    @ WardAwk

    Ah, so is that Awk as in AWK?  <eg>

    My output is:

    Let's try to summarize the differences.   Look at the X86 (32-bit version first).

    I see that we both have  211968 for that but yours is not installed yet.  So, I would hope that the SFC command would do that for you (using whatever syntax that is needed to get that done.)  Unfortunately I don't know what all the 32-bit DISM is good for.  E.g. if it is just as functional as the 64-bit version you could have a workaround with it if that is needed to get things fixed.

    It's the AMD64 (64-bit version)  that there are problems.  E.g. somehow it appears that you have an old 32-bit version installed in System32 (188416 which I don't have but which I apparently used to have (same name) but has now been shrunk somehow to 20293).  Similarly the 64-bit version that you have is the same name as the 64-bit version that I used to have.  The only difference there is that again, mine appears to have shrunk somehow from your 245760 to my 25734.   So the only real problem is that you don't appear to have the new 64-bit version anywhere...

    Hmm...  No.  That's overstating things a bit, e.g. you do have an AMD64 17031 name-wise but it is one of those strange shrunken ones.  Perhaps really the only problem is again, that it is not installed but in this case also not expanded, however that gets done?

    Same files, different locations! What a mess.

    Not the same files (length-wise); not different locations (same names).

    Did you try using the SFC command to clean it up?

    The real mess IMO is that this stuff is so unsupportable!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments