Given that it's been about 2 weeks without resolution, your original idea of doing a reformat and re-install is probably the choice that is going to save time and headache.
Issue with installing updates on Windows 8.1.
I am told (windows update) that there are three important updates available. But when they run they get to c89% and fail. PC reboots and undoes changes. This repeats about very fifth boot. It's getting tedious. When does Microsoft propose to issue an update that works? And why was this update not properly tested?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-05-29T20:43:29+00:00 An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
at line:1 char:1
with Get-WindowsPackage -Online underlined
I can't remember if that package was included in the default Powershell. I'm not a Powershell expert. I just use it. Let's try this then:
help *image* That shows that all the cmdlets associated with DISM come from the DISM module. What do you see from that?
-
Anonymous
2014-05-30T01:42:49+00:00 Hi,
It seems that BITS service is stopped from running. Refer this article to make sure all Windows Update services are running and then try installing the update and check.
"Windows Update Cannot Check For Updates" error message when you try to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2730071
For error “**The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again.”**Let’s try these steps and check if it helps.
- Boot up from your Windows 8 disc.
- Don't click 'Install Now', click Repair Your Computer.
- Click Advanced Options.
- Click Other Options.
- Click Diagnose my PC.
- Wait for your computer to reboot.
Your computer has now an unlocked hard drive.
You may also refer to the link and check if it helps.
Note: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.
Hope it helps.
-
Anonymous
2014-05-30T07:23:28+00:00 I've spent 5 hours online with HP for this update problem.(that's 2 different days & 2 techs) So far they haven't been able to fix anything. I have a 2 year warranty. Last night online w/ microsoft after over 2 hours they said they could fix it right away if I signed up for a $149 service plan. They were very pushy
about it. I don't know what I'll do next but I know they won't get any money from me. I can't install ANY updates.
-
Anonymous
2014-05-30T09:16:57+00:00 Hi Dsites,
- Did you try all the suggestion provided in this thread?
- Do you get any error message when you try to install Windows Update?
You can refer this link to fix errors and other issues with Windows Update.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/windows-update-issues
Hope this helps.