Issue with installing updates on Windows 8.1.

Anonymous
2014-05-16T15:14:55+00:00

I am told (windows update) that there are three important updates available. But when they run they get to c89% and fail. PC reboots and undoes changes. This repeats about very fifth boot. It's getting tedious. When does Microsoft propose to issue an update that works? And why was this update not properly tested?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-23T19:55:23+00:00

    This is as far as I've got, to no avail, The update still fails.

    I removed all Windows updates back to the end of Feb 2014

    Then I did:

    dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

    Reboot

    sfc /scannow

    Reboot

    net stop wuauserv

    rmdir /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

    rmdir /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

    net start wuauserv

    Reboot

    (dism and sfc were both happy, no errors reported)

    However, the update diagnostic now tells me:

    InformationalSFC Output 

    Output: There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again. 

    But when I do this and run sfc it tells me there are no problems.

    I am sick and tired of trying to fix this problem.

    Anyone got any other ideas? I really don't want to have to reformat my system disk and start from scratch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-27T08:14:12+00:00

    Hi,

    Follow the steps from these methods and check if it helps:

    Method 1:

    Try renaming Software Distribution folder in C:\Windows folder and check if the issue persists.

    a. Press Windows Key + X key and click Command Prompt (Admin).

    b. Stop the BITS service and the Windows Update service. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.

    net stop bits

    net stop wuauserv

    c. Go to Start screen and click on Windows Explorer.

    d. Go to the location: C:\Windows

    e. Rename the folder: Software Distribution to Software Distribution.old.

    f. Restart the BITS service and the Windows Update service. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press ENTER after you type each command.

    net start bits

    net start wuauserv

    g. Restart the computer and check for updates and check if the issue persists.

    Method 2:

    Rename the Windows Update Softwaredistribution folder

    That is what I got when searched around for error 0x80248015

    This problem may occur if the Windows Update, Software distribution folder has been corrupted.

    We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder.

    Please note that the folder will be re-created the next time we visit the Windows Update site.

    a. Close all the open windows.

    b. Click the "Start" Button, click "All programs", and click "Accessories".

    c. Right-click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as administrator".

    d. In "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type in " net stop WuAuServ " (without the quotes) and press Enter.

    Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully stopped before we try to rename the folder.

    e. Click the "Start" Button, in the "Start Search" box, type in " %windir% " (without the quotes) and press Enter.

    f. In the opened folder, look for the folder named "SoftwareDistribution".

    g. Right-click on the folder, select "Rename" and type " Sdold " (without the quotes) to rename this folder.

    h. Still in "Administrator: Command Prompt" window, type the command " net start WuAuServ " (without the quotes) in the opened window to restart the Windows Updates service.

    Note: Please look at the cmd window and make sure it says that it was successfully started.

    Note: If the issue is resolved and you can successfully download and install updates, you can safely delete the SoftwareDistribution.old directory to recover disk space.

    Hope the information is helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-27T14:02:19+00:00

    Hi John

    Thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it, but I've done all that and it makes no difference.

    Here's what I've tried so far:

    Remove all USB devices except keyboard & mouse

    Disable all startup processes except Microsoft's

    Uninstall all protection software (Spybot, System Mechanic, BitDefender, WinPatrol etc)

    Created & run the following batch files:

    net stop wuauserv

    rmdir /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

    rmdir /s /q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

    net start wuauserv

    pause

    net stop bits

    net stop wuauserv

    net stop appidsvc

    net stop cryptsvc

    Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"

    Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak

    Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak

    sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

    sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

    cd /d %windir%\system32

    regsvr32.exe atl.dll

    regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll

    regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll

    regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll

    regsvr32.exe browseui.dll

    regsvr32.exe jscript.dll

    regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll

    regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll

    regsvr32.exe msxml.dll

    regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll

    regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll

    regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll

    regsvr32.exe softpub.dll

    regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll

    regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll

    regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll

    regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll

    regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll

    regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll

    regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll

    regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll

    regsvr32.exe ole32.dll

    regsvr32.exe shell32.dll

    regsvr32.exe initpki.dll

    regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll

    regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll

    regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll

    regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll

    regsvr32.exe wups.dll

    regsvr32.exe wups2.dll

    regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll

    regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll

    regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll

    regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll

    regsvr32.exe muweb.dll

    regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll

    netsh winsock reset

    netsh winhttp reset proxy

    net start bits

    net start wuauserv

    net start appidsvc

    net start cryptsvc

    pause

    dism /online /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_KB2919355~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.14

    pause

    dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

    pause

    (I put a pause at the end of each so I can review the results)

    Some updates installed after all that, but not the infamous and necessary KB2919355. 

    I've run sfc /scannow plenty of times and it reports no problems. Dism runs OK and again reports no problems.

    So I've given up and reinstalled all my software. Unless anyone comes up with something I've not tried I'll just have to wait for MS to sort out this debacle, or Windows 8.2 comes along (better still Windows 9). But I am now seriously considering a Unix-based OS instead - I can do without this aggravation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments