Hi Shawn
Thanks for your reply.
While I understand the complexities involved (I work in IT as a developer) it seems I am far from alone in having problems with this update.
My main gripe is that MS has had years of practice (with hundreds of programmers) at this sort of thing but still gets it wrong and offers little support to those with problems
like mine. And I’ve now wasted hours just trying to do what should be a simple, unattended process.
As to your recommendations, yes I’ve tried the troubleshooter and no, it made no difference.
I’ve tried the advice at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us (which tells you to re-register several components that don’t exist in Windows 8, like msxml.dll!).
I’ve tried booting from the recovery disk but it tells me the system drive is locked.
I have tried running sfc (as admin) but unless I disable UAC it refuses to run.
I’ve also tried re-installing Win 8 from my install disk but it tells me there’s not enough disk space – on a 256GB SSD.
I wouldn’t mind but this is a brand-new PC with i7 processor, 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD, not some old piece of kit that I’m pushing too hard.
I would happily go back to Win 8 and wait for 8.2 but I can’t. So I’m left looking at a reformat and reinstall of Win 8 and all my apps, favourites etc etc. I have better things
to do with my time than pick up the pieces of this abject failure.
So, in my book, because it doesn’t work on my PC - and thousands of others - it is broken.