Issue with installing updates on Windows 8.1.

Anonymous
2014-05-16T15:14:55+00:00

I am told (windows update) that there are three important updates available. But when they run they get to c89% and fail. PC reboots and undoes changes. This repeats about very fifth boot. It's getting tedious. When does Microsoft propose to issue an update that works? And why was this update not properly tested?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-30T15:36:18+00:00

    Hi Robert

    The dism version gave me:

    Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool

    Version: 6.3.9600.16384

    Error: 11

    You cannot service a running 64-bit operating system with a 32-bit version of DISM. 

    Please use the version of DISM that corresponds to your computer's architecture.

    The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

    When I did the Get-WindowsPackage command at the PS prompt I got 'VERBOSE: Dism PowerShell Cmdlets Version 6.3.0.0,' then the same error message as before: 'An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.'

    There is a copy of dism in \system32 and another in \sysWOW64. I get the same results running dism when I run dism after cd'ing to either directory.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-30T13:12:47+00:00

     looks like 8.1 wasn't properly installed in the first place.

    Yes.  Which then may explain your symptom because a update of  dism.exe  could be one of the things that also didn't happen properly.

    See what you get from this, still in an Administrator: Windows Powershell window

    dism  -online  /version

    It's just the first 3 lines of any dism command that we are interested in.  /version is not a supported command line option but that is a way of getting version information without getting a huge amount of unwanted help or without trying to actually do anything with it.

    Ah.  Powershell  will let us do this for us too.

    Get-WindowsPackage  -online  -debug

    There should be a prompt.  Reply  Y  twice.  (Or apparently Enter twice.)   Doing that shows me both the version of DISM and the output of the command.  I suspect/hope you will see the version of DISM and then more detail for your error message.

    BTW one other difference, which I assume will not be significant, is that I don't have the Azure module installed.  So my list of help files from that query ends with that last Function in the Storage module.

    Good luck

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-30T10:30:32+00:00

    Hi John

    As above, when I run the diagnostic (for WUS or BITS)  I always get an error and output.txt in CheckSURLog.cab reads:

    Proxy :    Direct access (no proxy server).

    Last Installed Update :Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based Systems (KB2919355),05/29/2014 13:45:12

    Last Displayed Message :2014-05-30 11:12:57:861 1284 1ad8 AU WARNING: Failed to get Wu Exemption info from NLM, assuming not exempt, error = 0x80070032

    Language settings :en-US

    bits : Stopped

    wuauserv : Running

    WORKGROUP :WORKGROUP

    Windows Update Agent Version : Not Found

    Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro SP: 0

    CPU Type : x64 

    OS Architecture :64-bit

    When I check services, WUS and BITS are Automatic and Running.

    I've tried the Win 8 boot disk and Diagnose My PC and it makes no difference.

    I'm very reluctant to mess with the BIOS, but I will check the settings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-30T10:12:00+00:00

    Hi Robert

    PS Help *image* gives me this:

    Name Category Module Synopsis
    ---- -------- ------ --------
    Add-WindowsImage Cmdlet Dism Add-WindowsImage...
    Dismount-WindowsImage Cmdlet Dism Dismount-WindowsImage...
    Expand-WindowsImage Cmdlet Dism Expand-WindowsImage...
    Export-WindowsImage Cmdlet Dism Export-WindowsImage...
    Get-WindowsImage Cmdlet Dism Get-WindowsImage...
    Get-WindowsImageContent Cmdlet Dism Get-WindowsImageContent...
    Mount-WindowsImage Cmdlet Dism Mount-WindowsImage...
    New-WindowsImage Cmdlet Dism New-WindowsImage...
    Remove-WindowsImage Cmdlet Dism Remove-WindowsImage...
    Repair-WindowsImage Cmdlet Dism Repair-WindowsImage...
    Save-WindowsImage Cmdlet Dism Save-WindowsImage...
    Split-WindowsImage Cmdlet Dism Split-WindowsImage...
    Dismount-DiskImage Function Storage ...
    Get-DiskImage Function Storage ...
    Mount-DiskImage Function Storage ...
    Add-AzureVMImage Cmdlet Azure Add-AzureVMImage...
    Get-AzureVMImage Cmdlet Azure Get-AzureVMImage...
    Remove-AzureVMImage Cmdlet Azure Remove-AzureVMImage...
    Update-AzureVMImage Cmdlet Azure Update-AzureVMImage...
    Save-AzureVMImage Cmdlet Azure Save-AzureVMImage...

    I've just noticed an anomaly in my Start screen - there's supposed to be a search icon and an on/off icon next to my name at the top right - there isn't! There' just my name as per Win 8. So it looks like 8.1 wasn't properly installed in the first place.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-05-30T09:16:57+00:00

    Hi Dsites,

    • Did you try all the suggestion provided in this thread?
    • Do you get any error message when you try to install Windows Update?

    You can refer this link to fix errors and other issues with Windows Update.

    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/windows-update-issues

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments