DISM version is 6.3.9600.17031 on my system Robert.
Issue with installing updates on Windows 8.1.
I am told (windows update) that there are three important updates available. But when they run they get to c89% and fail. PC reboots and undoes changes. This repeats about very fifth boot. It's getting tedious. When does Microsoft propose to issue an update that works? And why was this update not properly tested?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
49 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-06-01T20:00:11+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-06-01T18:31:19+00:00 I don't suppose you know any way of getting the dism 64 version? I can't find any download sources.
Why not assume that you already have it? E.g. just copy the one you have in WinSxS into System32.
But why doesn't SFC /scannow fix this? Surely DISM.exe would be on its list?
Well, coincidentally you can use a spiffy new pipeline I just mentioned to Xircal (appropriately modified, of course)...
PS C:\windows> dir -Filter "*dism.exe" -Recurse Foreach-Object {get-item $_.FullName format-list * } Hmm... the base dism.exe (neither of the 16384 WinSxS ones) doesn't have any Version information? WTH? The lengths seem plausible.
I wonder how much of these problem symptoms is actual "corruption" versus sloppy (e.g. inconsistent) coding?
-
Anonymous
2014-06-01T17:51:13+00:00 Hi Robert
My WinSxS report reads:
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_4f680322e1a371ba\Dism.exe
C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_4f9af566e17dbc2c\Dism.exe
C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_f349679f29460084\Dism.exe
C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_f37c59e329204af6\Dism.exe
which is exactly the same as yours!
I don't suppose you know any way of getting the dism 64 version? I can't find any download sources.
-
Anonymous
2014-06-01T13:14:08+00:00 WardAwk,
You don't mention the KB numbers of the three updates are as far as I can tell.
Regardless, you can try installing them as follows.
- Create a folder for each installation on your HD which matches the KB number. So for example, if the patch is called KB1234567, create a folder called 1234567.
- Download each patch to its own folder on C:.
- Open an elevated command prompt and run: wusa.exe C:\1234567\Windows8.1-KB1234567-x64.msu
I suggest you perform the operation in a clean boot environment to eliminate interference from other installations: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us
Also, disable whatever security software you use to prevent that from scanning if you have to reboot. Bleepingcomputer has a list of AV with instructions on how to disable real time protection in each if you're unsure where the settings are on your own AV are: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/114351/how-to-temporarily-disable-your-anti-virus-firewall-and-anti-malware-programs/
-
Anonymous
2014-05-30T17:57:58+00:00 I wonder what package dism.exe comes in? Whatever it is didn't get applied properly.
This stuff seems so inconsistent.
FWIW in WinSxS I have this
PS C:\windows\WinSxS> dir -Filter "*dism.exe" -Recurse ft FullName -AutoSize -HideTableHeaders<br><br><br>C:\windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_4f680322e1a371ba\Dism.exe <br><br>C:\windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_4f9af566e17dbc2c\Dism.exe <br><br>C:\windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.16384_none_f349679f29460084\Dism.exe <br><br>C:\windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-d..ervicing-management_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17031_none_f37c59e329204af6\Dism.exe But when I try to find anything like that (e.g. Ctrl-f for ervicing) in C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\wuindex.xml
all I see is original stuff (16384 only). WTH?
That file is obviously getting updated regularly (current timestamp) but the information being added to it lately is only about the KB numbers. Somehow that has to be reflected into the WinSxS directory naming scheme.