Unable to install KB2919355 -Error codes 0246007 , 8024000B , 80073712 , 80070002

Anonymous
2014-04-24T04:42:16+00:00

Original title: recurring error on windows 8.1 update

i have been trying to update my current windows 8.1 to windows 8.1 update but run to so many errors namely 80246007 , 8024000B ,  80073712 , 80070002 i tried doing the dism.exe thing from the command line but the error just keeps coming back also i followed this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42335 to isolate which KB is the error coming from (KB2919355)

i also tried manual install but the same error i am pretty much frustrated and there is the threat that if you don't update to windows 8.1 update you wont receive future patches ironically you can't install the update

any help will do

thank you

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T19:35:53+00:00

    This is one of those things that make many people say: "It borders insanity!" Fortunately, it doesn't happen frequently (thanks, Microsoft!) Last time it happened to me was yesterday and it repeated today with this insane type of error: WindowsUpdate_80073712.

    I did also the DISM "torture" to no avail. This headache also coincides with the warning from the Homeland Security Department (USA) strongly advising people to NOT use Internet Explorer (versions 6 to 11). Maybe these two errors are related.

    I honestly believe I give people a sane piece of advice: IGNORE THAT WINDOWS UPDATE THAT TRIGGERS THE WindowsUpdate_80073712 ERROR.

    It didn't install for me yesterday and my PC worked perfectly. The update didn't install today and my PC works perfectly. I ignored Windows updates before and my PCs worked OK (XP, Win 7, Win 8).

    The error I write about (80073712) occurred on my laptop, 64-bit Windows 8.1 Professional.

    Ion Saliu

    SALIU.COM

    "A good man is an axiomatic man; an axiomatic man is a happy  man. Be axiomatic!"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T19:24:11+00:00

    OK, did what you said..installer gets about 1/6 of the way on the Install progress bar, then fails.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T19:09:45+00:00

    Interesting..the Startup Type is set to Manual..and it is greyed out..I can't select anything from the dropbox. I have set the Service Status to Start..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T19:02:59+00:00

    Hi Davd,

    Check the Windows installer Service status manually

    1. Press Windows and R keys together.
    2. Type in Services.msc and press enter.
    3. Double click on Windows installer Service.
    4. Ensure that service is running with startup type is Automatic

    Rename the Catroot2 manually, refer to these steps.

    1. Go to the C:\Windows\System32.
    2. Locate C****atroot2 .
    3. Right click on Catroot2, click on rename.
    4. Rename it as catroot2.old

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T18:17:34+00:00

    Hi..I am having exactly the same problem. I have tried everything that you have suggested. In the latest Command Prompt suggestion..all goes well until the two ren statements..these do not execute, I get an "Access Denied" error for both..I am running the Command Prompt as Administrator..

    Later: I just re-ran the Command Prompt suggestion again:

    1: net Stop msiserver gave a message "The Windows Installer Service is not started

    2: ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.oldnow says that it can't locate this file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments