System Recovered From a Serious Error

Anonymous
2013-02-08T02:49:55+00:00

I had the a similar problem about a month ago

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_xp-system/the-system-has-recovered-from-a-serious-error/da1629fc-32e0-4737-a5ff-63bf6003ddb2?page=1&tab=AllReplies

Thought it was fixed with all the great help I got here, but a day or so ago I rebooted and chkdsc came on without me scheduling it, then this morning I found my computer had crashed during the night ..

here's some Info-

Win XP Home 2002 SP III

Computer is getting old, Inter (R) Pentium 4CPU 240 GHz, 1.5 GB Ram

I Mainly use FFox

No idea about IDE drives or SATA drives

I have Avast free and Win Firewall

I have a CD and DVD but hardly ever use them

I don't know if I have a genuine bootable XP installation CD

Computer boots fairly well and fast

here's my System Summary-

OS Name    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation

System Name   

System Manufacturer    Dell Computer Corporation

System Model    Dimension 4600

System Type    X86-based PC

Processor    x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date    Dell Computer Corporation A07, 11/6/2003

SMBIOS Version    2.3

Windows Directory    C:\windows

System Directory    C:\windows\system32

Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale    United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

User Name   

Time Zone    Pacific Standard Time

Total Physical Memory    1,536.00 MB

Available Physical Memory    653.13 MB

Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB

Available Virtual Memory    1.96 GB

Page File Space    3.35 GB

Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

My Display Info-

Name    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_80DF1043&REV_A1\4&1246FE7B&0&0008

Adapter Type    GeForce FX 5200, NVIDIA compatible

Adapter Description    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

Adapter RAM    128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)

Installed Drivers    nv4_disp.dll

Driver Version    6.14.11.7519

INF File    oem36.inf (nv4_NV3x section)

Color Planes    1

Color Table Entries    4294967296

Resolution    1024 x 768 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel    32

Memory Address    0xFD000000-0xFEAFFFFF

Memory Address    0xF0000000-0xF7FFFFFF

IRQ Channel    IRQ 16

I/O Port    0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port    0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address    0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Driver    c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.14.11.7519, 6.25 MB (6,557,408 bytes), 8/3/2004 10:29 PM)

I've been doing MalwareByte and SASpyware scans,

here's my Dump File https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5E9161E0412D6528!164&authkey=!AJ38-Yq\_Q0SoGyY

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-09T19:51:50+00:00

    OK got the Image Burn, but which option do I use, the first one?

    http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/JoeWood\_/Contribute%20II/?action=view&current=ImBurn\_zpsf95a85ce.jpg

    So I shut down the computer, then press the F12 right after I turn it on? That's what you mean by "choose the correct boot option"? Do I press and hold, or tap the F12 like going into Safe Mode?

    yep that reinstallation CD with SP1 has Dell printed on it.

    "Not malware, but I believe we determined it was conflicting anti-malware programs, both running at the same time, no?" Sorry Daavee but I don't remember what it was as most of what we did was over my head.

    thanks for working on the weekend :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-02-09T19:16:12+00:00

    My last bsod issue, I don't remember what finally solved it ( a driver issue?) but am almost sure it wasn't malware.

    Not malware, but I believe we determined it was conflicting anti-malware programs, both running at the same time, no?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-09T19:13:06+00:00

    I tried running that memtest86+, burned that Iso file (not clear on what a bootable CD is?) to a CD, left the CD in, but when I restarted nothing happened. Tried rebooting twice.

    Did you create the bootable memtest86+ CD with IMGBurn? That's the easiest way to do it IMO.

    A bootable CD allows you to boot your PC off the CD (assuming you choose the correct boot option, available after pressing the F12 key IMMEDIATELY after you turn on the PC).

    IMGBurn:

    http://www.imgburn.com/

    ** Memtest86+ V4.20 (25/01/2011) **

    (you need to unzip the .zip file to get the .iso file)

    Can you confirm that you have a Dell-branded XP Installation CD (for Recovery Console)?

    Since all your data is backed up, you can certainly run the Recovery Console (if you have it!).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-02-09T17:01:57+00:00

    Should I still run run 'once in Recovery Console' ? I do have an operating system reinstallation CD with SP I. I'm a bit apprehensive about doing it but will if it'll help.

    I've never used the windows media player. Went and checked and it is up to date.

    looked again in MInidump but I only see that one file in there.

    no idea why I have UPH Cleanup, should I remove it? I do have Win Debugging Tools, vaguely remember installing it but forget why.

    I tried running that memtest86+, burned that Iso file (not clear on what a bootable CD is?) to a CD, left the CD in, but when I restarted nothing happened. Tried rebooting twice.

    My last bsod issue, I don't remember what finally solved it ( a driver issue?) but am almost sure it wasn't malware. I regularly do scans and did a bunch when you all requested it, nothing found. Yesterday did more SASpyware, malwarebyte, and spybot scans as well as an Avast scan. Also scanned with Housecall, and ESET online scanner. Nobody found anything.

    About backing up data,I have carbonite, and also have acronis true image home 11, wish I could create a mirror / clone whatever of my system but have never figured out how to do it. I have a big external HD for this.

    I had a new HD installed a few years ago after the original one failed. Isn't there a program that will monitor my HD? I vaguely remember having one called Hard Drive health?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-02-09T12:13:04+00:00

    Great post! I had Windows Debugging installed on my other hard drive. Unfortunately, I messed up the PCB board with a real stupid move not so long ago ( that's what happens when you get into too big of a hurry) and lost the drive until I replace the board (soon hopefully). :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments