Not that I know of.
System Recovered From a Serious Error
I had the a similar problem about a month ago
Thought it was fixed with all the great help I got here, but a day or so ago I rebooted and chkdsc came on without me scheduling it, then this morning I found my computer had crashed during the night ..
here's some Info-
Win XP Home 2002 SP III
Computer is getting old, Inter (R) Pentium 4CPU 240 GHz, 1.5 GB Ram
I Mainly use FFox
No idea about IDE drives or SATA drives
I have Avast free and Win Firewall
I have a CD and DVD but hardly ever use them
I don't know if I have a genuine bootable XP installation CD
Computer boots fairly well and fast
here's my System Summary-
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 4600
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A07, 11/6/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 653.13 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.35 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
My Display Info-
Name NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_80DF1043&REV_A1\4&1246FE7B&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce FX 5200, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)
Installed Drivers nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version 6.14.11.7519
INF File oem36.inf (nv4_NV3x section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFEAFFFFF
Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF7FFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.14.11.7519, 6.25 MB (6,557,408 bytes), 8/3/2004 10:29 PM)
I've been doing MalwareByte and SASpyware scans,
here's my Dump File https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5E9161E0412D6528!164&authkey=!AJ38-Yq\_Q0SoGyY
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2013-02-09T23:54:11+00:00 -
Anonymous
2013-02-09T23:36:53+00:00 Just in case, is there a phone number for microsoft help I can call?
-
Anonymous
2013-02-09T22:09:54+00:00 Overnight is not necessary to test the RAM. Three passes should be fine. If there are errors, let us know.
Chkdsk /r might take the better part of an hour.
I think you'll do just fine.
-
Anonymous
2013-02-09T21:35:43+00:00 Ok the ram test takes overnight it says. In the morning I assume I'll save a Log of the results?
How long will the recovery console and chkdsc /r take?
What if I mess up a step, should I shut down, restart, then reboot again?
I better print out those instructions!
If I do mess something up and can't restart my computer is there anyone I can call for help? :-)
-
Anonymous
2013-02-09T20:11:26+00:00 OK got the Image Burn, but which option do I use, the first one?
Yes.
> So I shut down the computer, then press the F12 right after I turn it on? That's what you mean by "choose the correct boot option"? Do I press and hold, or tap the F12 like going into Safe Mode?
Yes. Tap it several times IMMEDIATELY after powering on PC BEFORE Windows even has a chance to start.
> yep that reinstallation CD with SP1 has Dell printed on it.
Good. You can boot off that CD, run Recovery Console, and run the chkdsk /r command to clear the dirty bit, per the directions already provided.